Sunday, June 11, 2017

'Wonder Woman' is already winning awards — for its trailer


There is already some speculation about "Wonder  Woman" being nominated for Oscars, but the movie is already winning awards for its trailer.
After less than a week in theaters, Wonder Woman is already getting into the awards season flow. Of course, the real awards ordeal won’t kick off for several months—but there’s nothing wrong with getting ready a little early, right?

On Tuesday night, the DC action film about the Amazonian superheroine picked up top nods at the Golden Trailer Awards, winning the best in show prize as well as best fantasy/adventure trailer. Open Road Entertainment and the AV Squad were honored for the Warner Bros. film’s “What She Is” trailer. In addition, the studio walked away with about 26 awards in all, for the trailers for films, including Lego Batman.
Movie Trailer 21 has the complete rundown of the movies whose trailers won and had awards presented to them in Wonder Woman Wins Best of Show At Golden Trailer Awards.

The 18th annual Golden Trailer Awards were held Tuesday night in Beverly Hills, with current box office champion Wonder Woman taking home “Best in Show.” Every year, the awards honor the best in film and TV marketing. Nominees are broken down by genre, advertisement type, and technical aspects like sound editing and graphics.
In addition to winning Best in Show and Best Fantasy, "Wonder Woman" won Best Summer 2017 Blockbuster Poster and was nominated for Best Summer 2017 Blockbuster Trailer (won by "Atomic Blonde") and Best Fantasy/Adventure Poster (won by "Star Wars: The Last Jedi").  Three awards already, just for its advertising — not bad!

Speaking of winning, Wochit Entertainment reports ‘Wonder Woman’ Wins 2nd Weekend at the box office.

Not only will “Wonder Woman” hold on to the top spot at the box office for the second weekend in a row with an estimated $57.2 million, it’s also bringing in a holdover total higher than its DC predecessors, “Batman v Superman” and “Suicide Squad.” While “BvS” and “Squad” had much higher opening weekends than “Wonder Woman” when they were released last year — $166 million and $133.6 million, respectively — they both suffered a 67 percent drop-off thanks to poor critical and audience reception, with “BvS” making $51.3 million and “Squad” making $43.5 million.
I'm sure I'll have more to write about "Wonder Woman" being nominated for awards beginning with the Teen Choice Awards next month.  Until then, stay tuned for more about the speculative fiction nominees and winners in movies and television later this week.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting. I never knew there were awards for trailers. Still, I'm not surprised that this one emerged as king (queen?) of the Golden Trailer Park. Having been out to actual movie theaters a few times lately, I've seen quite a few trailers, and with most of them, it's hard to tell where one trailer ends and the next begins -- it's all just an unending series of explosions. The ones that stood out and actually inspired me to want to see the movie were Wonder Woman and Dunkirk.

    I've been glad to see WW doing so well. There's no substitute for making a movie actually good.

    The voiceover guy in the first video does need to learn how to pronounce "Gadot", though. I have a feeling it's going to be mentioned in a lot of awards shows in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, this is the 18th awards ceremony for trailers, TV spots, and posters. It is, however, the first year I heard of it. "Dunkirk" was nominated for Best Drama Trailer and nominated in three other categories, so the experts agreed with you. And, yes, there is nothing substitute for a well-made movie.

      As for "the voiceover guy in the first video," first, I think that's a synthesized voice reading a script, not an actual person. Second, I think it's actually pronouncing her last name properly. It's Hebrew, not French, so the final "t" is not silent.

      Delete
    2. What I meant about "Gadot" is that since it's a Hebrew name, it should be stressed on the last syllable ("ga-DOTE", not "GA-dut"). That's also consistent with how it's spelled in the Hebrew alphabet -- the "o" is represented by a vav, but the "a" is not represented by an aleph.

      Wow, awards for posters too.....I wonder if there are awards for blog posts about movies. You'd be a contender, I'd think.

      Delete
    3. You know a lot more about Hebrew than I do, so I concede the argument. How's your Yiddish? I might have better luck with that language.

      According to my research, there used to be blog awards for science fiction, movie, and television blogging, but almost none of them appear to be active. The closest I could find was Best Fanzine at the Hugo Awards, but that electorate prefers literary SF, not media SF, which is what I write about. If David Futrelle had been serious about his "Serious Kitten Awards" two years ago, I could be a contender for them. There was a Best Science Fiction blog category. Unfortunately, he took nominations and then never bothered to ballot for winners. Maybe I should ask him if I can take over the idea. I have a history of doing things like that.

      Delete
    4. I never studied Yiddish, but it's basically a dialect of German written in a modified Hebrew script. German is my best foreign language and I have some knowledge of the Hebrew alphabet, so I can generally read Yiddish pretty well. Israel's language is Hebrew, though. The next-most-spoken languages there are Russian and Arabic. As far as I know, Yiddish is used only by a few enclaves of religious oddballs in Jerusalem.

      Too bad the blog awards have gone inactive. We bloggers deserve some recognition too.....

      Delete
    5. German is also my best foreign language. I won best first-year German student in my junior high school and then took two more years of the language in high school. Too bad I've let it get rusty.

      As for Yiddish, I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood in Los Angeles, so Yiddish words, if not Yiddish itself, were all around me. Hearing Yiddish was trippy. I could tell it was like German, but wasn't really. I could catch about half the words. I have the same experience hearing Korean because it sounds like Japanese, but isn't.

      Now, all I have to do is learn how to read Hebrew.

      Delete
  2. As for "the voiceover guy in the first video," first, I think that's a synthesized voice reading a script, not an actual person.

    The voice was pretty odd. Really noticed his computer accent on the word "trailer." They said Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is used in the "Logan" trailer. That's a great cover. I saw a review praising the Lego Batman movie, too.

    What? No post on Adam West?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall reading or hearing that when Trent Reznor heard Johnny Cash's cover, Reznor stopped singing his own song; Cash now owned it.

      I was thinking of posting an obituary for West; he was, after all, my original Batman. Now that you've asked, I'm going to do it. Never say I don't respond to reader requests.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete