Monday, May 15, 2017

'Hidden Figures' wins two MTV Movie Awards


I promised "I'll have more on the movie winners in a future post" in the first installment of the MTV Movie & TV Awards.  Today is as good a day as any to fulfill that promise.

One of the movies honored last weekend was "Hidden Figures," which won two awards, Best Fight Against the System and Best Hero for Taraji P. Henson.  Watch as Taraji P. Henson Accepts Best Fight Against the System.

Taraji P. Henson of 'Hidden Figures' accepts the award for Best Fight Against The System at the 2017 MTV Movie & TV Awards.
My wife and I just watched "Hidden Figures" on Saturday.  I recommend it without reservation.  In fact, I suggest watching it in a double feature with The Right Stuff.

Speaking of recommendations, "Hidden Figures" is also nominated for the Saturn Awards.  In addition to Taraji P. Henson being up for Best Actress in a Film against Felicity Jones in "Rogue One," Amy Adams in "Arrival," Emily Blunt in "The Girl on the Train," Jennifer Lawrence in "Passengers," Narges Rashidi in "Under the Shadow," and Mary Elizabeth Winstead in "10 Cloverfield Lane," (I'm voting for Adams) the film is nominated for Best Action / Adventure Film Release.  Here is the field.
Allied
Gold
Hacksaw Ridge
Hidden Figures
The Legend of Tarzan
The Magnificent Seven
The Nice Guys
"Hacksaw Ridge" is the sole Academy Award winner here (for editing) and would be the favorite with an electorate of entertainment insiders and professionals, but thankfully (for once!) this isn't that kind of crowd.  Instead, there are a bunch of space enthusiasts voting, including me, so I think it has a better chance with this electorate, which is probably why it was even nominated for this year's Hugo Awards.  Right now, it's my choice for this category.

There were three other speculative fiction winners at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, "Beauty and the Beast," "Get Out," and "Logan," but all of them are this year's movies and will very likely be nominated at next year's Saturn Awards for Best Fantasy Film, Best Horror Film," and Best Comic-to-Motion Picture.  I'll talk about them later -- after I finish posting about the rest of this year's Saturn Awards nominees.

In the meantime,  here's a reminder about voting for the Saturn Awards.
Speaking of "this electorate," my readers and I have a chance to change its composition.  Click here to apply for an affiliate membership.  At $25, one can vote for the best films and television shows.  At $40, one can vote for all categories.  I'm paying $40.  I hope my readers do, too.
I've already paid my $40 and will vote as soon as I post my last entry about the nominees.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment