Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Fukushima nine years later


Today marks the ninth anniversary of the Fukushima triple disaster.  I thought I might be done writing about it here after I wrote Seeker/DNews tells its viewers to chill about Fukushima two years ago, which is why I ignored last year, posting Charlotte Russe liquidating, a tale of the Retail Apocalypse on this date instead.  I was wrong, as there are still stories to tell about Fukushima.

National Geographic told one of them in Returning to Fukushima | Explorer, which I could have used last year if I hadn't been concentrating on the Retail Apocalypse instead.

The Dai-ichi Nuclear Plant in Fukushima suffered a meltdown in 2011. Now, Japan has a plan for residents to return to the area.
...
The Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant spewed radiation across dozens of towns, triggering a 12-mile evacuation zone. What are your thoughts on Japan encouraging people to move back?
That story, as grim as it is, offers some hope for the situation.  It also mentioned other topics more recent videos explored.  One is that tourists visit the evacuation zone, a subject The Telegraph examined in A holiday in Fukushima? "Dark tourism" in the nuclear disaster zone | Japan welcomes the world.

On 11 March 2011 a 9.1 magnitude earthquake struck off the east coast of Japan, prompting the second biggest nuclear meltdown of all time at the Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant.
Fukushima joins Chernobyl and Australia's nuclear test site as destinations for dark nuclear tourism.

Finally, both the continued cleanup effort and the Olympic torch relay beginning in Fukushima appear in The Today Show's nside The Fukushima Nuclear Disaster Site, 9 Years Later.

When Japan hosts the Olympics this year, the torch relay will begin at Fukushima, site of one of the world's worst nuclear disasters only nine years ago. TODAY senior international correspondent Keir Simmons got rare access to the nuclear plant, and found surprising conditions.
Now that I've watched these videos, I'm sure I'll be writing about the recovery from the triple disaster, particularly the nuclear plant meltdown, for years to come, especially next year, the 10th anniversary.  That is, if coronavirus doesn't get me first.  Given my age and diabetes, that's a small but real possibility, especially since the first cases in Michigan were announced yesterday.  One of them is in the county where I live.  Yikes!

2 comments: