Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Marching music and a drink for the St. Patrick's Day primaries

Stay tuned for another edition of marching music for a primary election, this time an update of A Drum Corps Ides of March for an election year on St. Patrick's Day.  The holidays March on!
That was my program note at the end of The Washington Post and Full Frontal explain FOIA for Freedom of Information Day.  As for what's on the agenda, I wrote that in a response to a comment two weeks ago.
AZGeoScience: As an Arizonan, I recommend for our primary in a couple of weeks, the 2012 University of Arizona Radiohead 2.0 show. Great show. BTW, loving these posts. My son and I are huge DCI fans.

Me: Glad you're enjoying this series. Also, that's a great suggestion, probably the best show the Wildcats have done. I'll add it to roster of The Academy, [The] Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats, Columbus Saints, Cincinnati Tradition, and Heat Wave that I already have planned for that date.
At the last minute, Ohio postponed its primary because of the coronavirus pandemic, so I'm postponing posting its corps until the vote is held, possibly on June 2.  To compensate, I'm adding the Florida A&M University (FAMU) Marching Band to the list.  I hope that's enough marching music for my readers to watch and listen to while they are waiting for the results from the three states voting today.

To make up for not adding an Illinois marching band along with ones from Arizona and Florida, I begin with an Illinois corps, The Cavaliers playing their 2016 show, Propaganda.

Rosemont, IL - 5th Place 94.025
...
"Music For The Funeral Of Queen Mary" Written by Henry Purcell; As Arranged By Michael Martin Published by MICHAEL MARTIN MUSIC; "Symphony For Band" Written by Morton Gould Published by G. SCHIRMER, INC.; "Elegy For Dunkirk" Written by Marianelli Dario Published by UNIVERSAL MUSIC CORP OBO UNIVERSAL PICTURES MUSIC; "Lollapalooza" Written by John Adams Published by HENDON MUSIC, INC.
Given the political theme, I thought this was the best choice of show.

Next, the corps I featured four years ago, Phantom Regiment performing their 2018 program, This New World.

Rockford, IL | 11th | 86.950
...
“Finale (from ‘Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium’)”
Written by Aaron Zigman, Alexandre Desplat
...
“Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Major, Op. 26”
Written by Sergei Prokofiev
...
“A Child’s Garden of Dreams”
Written by David Maslanka
...
“Picture Studies”
Written by Adam Schoenberg
...
“Symphony No. 9”
Written by Antonin Dvorak, Arr. by William Pitts
I'm saving the 2019 show for a Bastille Day post, as it has a French theme — sort of.  I'm an environmentalist, I conserve my resources.

Follow over the jump for videos of drum corps and marching bands from Arizona and Florida plus a bonus drink for the holiday.

Next, the unit I featured first from Marching music for the elections in Arizona, Utah, and Idaho, The Academy.*  Here is their 2019 show, The Bridge Between.



Tempe, AZ | 15th Place | 84.300

That was fun and probably deserved better than 15th place.

Now for the request, 2012 Pride of Arizona - "Radiohead 2.0".  Never say I don't respond to reader requests — and an excellent request this is!

The 2012 Pride of Arizona presents "Radiohead 2.0". Recorded on October 6, 2012 at UA Band Day, Arizona Stadium. Musical selections include: Sail to the Moon, 15 Step, and Creep. Soloists include Daniel Horist, Craig Tester, Nick Alanis, Will Lathrop, Rachel Pauls, Eric Wong, and Luka Djerdjevic.

The filming uses cameras worn by various Pride of Arizona instruments, in addition to a sideline cam and top view field cam.  Video was filmed and edited by Kirk Sibley.
I like this version of "15 Step" much better than the University of Southern California's, at least on a football field.  As a backup band for Radiohead themselves at the Grammys, the USC band was actually awesome.  On their own, it's another story.

Moving on to Florida, here is Heat Wave Drum and Bugle Corps 2018 - The World Keeps Spinning - Orlando 6/8/18, recorded by Rudy 18.

Heat Wave's first show of the 2018 DCI tour. Recorded on my mobile device directly following a rain/lightning delay (Orlando, 6/8), so not the highest quality. Enjoy!
I conclude with the Florida A&M Marching Band, beginning with their perforamce at the 2020 Honda Battle of the Bands recorded by ShowtimeWeb.

Honda Battle of the Bands HBOB
January 25, 2020
Atlanta, GA
For an encore, I present Florida A&M University (FAMU) Marching Band - 2019 Pasadena Rose Parade recorded by Music213.

From Tallahassee, Florida
Florida A&M University Marching Band (FAMU) performing at the 130th Annual Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade on Tuesday, January 1, 2019.
I couldn't resist including a Rose Parade clip, as it was probably the most viewed performance of all I embedded today.

That does it for this edition of marching music for a primary day.  I'll probably return to  coronavirus coverage tomorrow.  Sigh.

*I also featured The Academy in Toast the 'Drum Corpse Bride' for a drum corps Halloween.  Speaking of toasts, here's to the brave people voting and working the polls today, Irish Flag Jello Shot from Tipsy Bartender.



It's the Irish flag as jello shot!

It wouldn't be a St. Patrick's Day post of mine without a drink recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment