Saturday, July 4, 2020

Drink to the never-built Disney's America on the 4th of July

Happy 4th of July! For today's celebration, I'm returning to the concept behind Drink to America Sings for July 4th, by examining a patriotic attraction that Disney planned for but never opened, Abandoned - Disney's America by Bright Sun Films.*

A story of Disney's attempt to build a more "local" theme park in Virginia. A park catering to the United State of America's long history. This is Disney's America.
Not only did this proposed park get in trouble because its neighbors had a severe case of Not In My Back Yard (NIMBY), but because Disney's sanitized view of history had fallen out of fashion and rubbed historians the wrong way, leading to activism on the part of both groups. Imagine how poorly that perspective would fare today with Confederate monuments being removed and Juneteenth becoming popular and people examining the Tulsa Massacre. Then again, maybe not, as Disney is retheming Splash Mountain and Disney's U.S. parks are closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Disney might have escaped the worst criticism.

Of course, it wouldn't be a 4th of July post of mine without a Tipsy Bartender recipe, so here's the one I selected for this year's celebration, the Red, White & Blue Bomb.



A bomb shot for Independence Day!

As I wrote last year, "Everyone have a fun and safe holiday and remember to drink responsibly!" This goes double because of the pandemic!

*Defunctland has a video on this topic that was my original choice for this post, but I watched this and decided to save Kevin Perjurer's documentary for next year. I'm an environmentalist, so I don't just recycle, I conserve my resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment