Monday, March 25, 2024

CityNerd examines 'Why Americans Live So Far Away From Everything,' a driving update

Happy Holi! Normally, I'd write an entire post about the holiday, but, like Purim, I'm just not feeling it.* Besides, I have something else in mind, a driving update. I begin with CityNerd examining Why Americans Live So Far Away From Everything.

"Super commuting": when your job is in one metropolitan area and you live in a completely different metro area. With the intensifying housing affordability crisis and the increase in hybrid work schedules, there are more long work trips than ever...but are they really "super"?
Ray "CityNerd" Delahanty has interesting things to say about super commuting, but that's not what prompted me to leave a comment on this video. Instead, I focused on something more personal.
The preview image looked eerily familiar, so I zoomed in the sign listing the exits and read "Yorba Linda Blvd. Weir Canyon Road" then CA 241. That's heading east on CA 91 just past the intersection with CA 90 in Anaheim Hills. Hey, I used to live within a mile of where that picture was taken! Appropriately for the video, I commuted to downtown LA from there.
I elaborated on this at my Dreamwidth, adding "That was about the background, which probably came from a drone carrying a telephoto lens, because the mountains would otherwise be much smaller. The foreground has been added from a traffic jam in Arizona." Check out the Arizona license plate and U of A sticker to see why I think so.

That's my personal reaction to the general driving update. Follow over the jump for my personal driving update.


Pearl's odometer rolled past 63,000 miles last Thursday, March 21, 2024. That's 99 days since she passed 62,000 miles on Wednesday, December 13, 2023 for averages of 10.10 miles per day, 308.08 miles per standard accounting month, 3,686.87 miles per standard year, and 3,696.97 miles per leap year. Wow! That's much less than the 17.54 miles per day, 535.09 miles per standard accounting month, and 6,403.51 miles per standard year I drove Pearl between October 17, 2023 and December 13, 2023. Two changes to my driving can account for the decrease. First, I'm only driving to two campuses instead of three. Second, I had two breaks during this period, a nearly three-week break during late December and early January and a one-week break during late February and early March. I don't think my next report will show any such dramatic decrease, as I won't be taking any long breaks then — the break between winter and summer semesters is less than a week — although I will only be working at one campus starting in May.

Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, as Pearl traveled 8.40 miles per day, 256.30 miles per standard month, and 3,067.23 miles per standard year between Tuesday, October 25, 2022 and Tuesday, February 21, 2023, the comparable period last year. I had the same three-week break, but also drove Snow Bear more then because of winter weather. Thanks to El NiƱo, there was much less snow this winter, so I drove Pearl more and Snow Bear less.

For a final comparison, I'm computing the average miles driven between February 21, 2023 and March 21, 2024, 5,000 miles over 394 days. The resulting averages are 12.69 miles per day, 387.06 miles per standard accounting month, 4,631.98 miles per standard year, and 4,644.67 miles per leap year. That's only slightly more than the 11.98 miles per day, 365.27 miles per standard month, and 4,371.26 miles per standard year I drove Pearl between March 24, 2022 and February 21, 2023. I blame better weather and detours from construction for the difference. Still, it looks like my post-pandemic driving habits have stabilized.

That's a wrap for today's driving update. Stay tuned for stats!

*In the case of Purim, not only did I have Marching music for the Louisiana and Missouri primaries planned, but people are identifying Israelis for harassment because of what's happening in Gaza. I decided I didn't want to contribute to that, even if I was doing it for completely different reasons. I also missed Earth Hour for the first time in this blog's history. I blame National Day Calendar, which identified Earth Hour as the last Saturday in March, not the Saturday after the Vernal Equinox. They're often the same day, but not always. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment