Saturday, March 23, 2024

Marching music for the Louisiana and Missouri primaries

I'm continuing my series of marching music for primaries and caucuses with this year's edition of marching music for the Louisiana primary, then working my way up the Mississippi River to Missouri for the Show Me State's primary. Since Louisiana had the competitive drum corps in the two states, I'm kicking off the music to watch and listen while waiting for results with Louisiana Stars | #dci2022 | Spellbound.

Lafayette, LA | 30th Place | 70.025

Lafayette, Louisiana's Louisiana Stars perform a segment from the corps' #DCI2022 production, "Spellbound," during the 2022 DCI World Championships hosted August 12-14 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
That's just the official clip. For the full show, I'm sharing Louisiana Stars 2022: “Spellbound” @ Portage, Michigan from Luke Herbert, an unofficial upload that is an original, not a rip of a FloMarching feed, so it might just remain up.*


This looks like a show I could recycle for a drum corps Halloween and there is a reaction video of the entire show with a great preview already. So long as it's still there when the last week of October rolls around, I've penciled it in.

Now the HBCU band I featured four years ago, Southern University Human Jukebox Homecoming 2023 Halftime Show.


That was fun, which is why I featured it.

Follow over the jump for two marching bands from Missouri.

I resume this installment with Marching Mizzou 2023: Metallica.

Marching Mizzou proudly presents its sixth halftime show of the 2023 season, Metallica, performed on Saturday, November 11, 2023, Mizzou vs. Tennessee.

Musical selections included:

Enter Sandman, arranged by Natalie White
Master of Puppets, arranged by Jay Bocook
Seek and Destroy, arranged by Natalie White

Drumline arrangements by Clif Walker

Visual Design by Joshua Boyer
Color Guard Choreography by Jasmyne Tyler
Feature Twirler and Truman the Tiger Choreography by Sherry Wendling
Golden Girls Choreography by Ella Phillips, Addi Woodward, Kennedy Thuet, Bre Magnuson, and Crosby Mills

Pyro and Fireworks Team led by Darlye Bascom, with assistance by Amanda Greenbacker-Mitchell

Video produced by Mizzou Visual Productions, with camera assistance by: Annabel Carter, Faith Hall, Luke Haymon, Abby Reed, and Noah Wright
Of course I'd include the marching band from the flagship state university and of course I'd include a band that participated in the Metallica marching band contest and the Marching Mizzou are both! The only surprise is that the Marching Mizzou didn't earn finalist status, although neither did the University of Washington band. I could apply my experience as a marching band judge to explain why both didn't make the cut, while Fresno State and Western Illinois did, but that's not why I'm writing this post. If my readers wish, I can do so in the comments. In the meantime, I'm moving on to a Rose Parade band from the Show Me State, Lindbergh High School Spirit of St. Louis Marching Band - 2018 Pasadena Bandfest from Luis of Music213.

From St. Louis, Missouri
Lindbergh High School Spirit of St. Louis Marching Band performing their field show at the 38th Annual Pasadena Tournament of Roses Bandfest on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
Between "St. Louis Blues March" and "The Trolley Song" from Meet Me in St. Louis, the band is certainly playing up their local identity!

For an encore, I'm sharing Lindbergh High School Spirit of St. Louis Marching Band - 2018 Pasadena Rose Parade, also from Music213.

From St. Louis, Missouri
Lindbergh High School Spirit of St. Louis Marching Band performing at the 129th Annual Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade on Monday, January 1, 2018
And that's a wrap!

I am taking a break from this series until April 2nd, when I plan on returning with marching music for the Connecticut, Delaware, New York, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin presidential primaries. Drum corps, particularly all-age drum corps, galore! Speaking of returns, I expect to resume coverage of Marche du Nain Rouge tomorrow for the first time since the pandemic began. Stay tuned!

*The video of 2023 Rogues Hollow Regiment that I embedded in Marching music for the Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and Ohio Presidential Primaries on the Vernal Equinox has already been taken down because of a copyright claim by Box 5 Media, who is even more aggressive than FloMarching. That didn't take long at all!

Previous marching music for 2024 primaries and caucuses posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment