Sunday, March 24, 2024

Marche du Nain Rouge returns

As I promised yesterday, I'm resuming coverage of Marche du Nain Rouge for the first time since the pandemic began. Because it's been five years since I last covered the parade and I have lots of new readers, I'm reintroducing the subject with The History of Detroit's Nain Rouge by MLive.

Throughout Detroit's history, the legend of the Nain Rouge (Red Dwarf) dates back to its founder, Antoine Cadillac. This Detroit Devil has been spotted on the eve of Detroit's worst events in its history and as the legend goes, is feared to be the harbinger of disaster for Detroit if spotted.
MLive produced that video in October 2020, a year of no Marche du Nain Rouge, and disaster did befall the city, although no one claimed to see the Nain Rouge. I guess that's because the disaster was global, not local, so not a result of the Nain Rouge's curse.

Under the Radar Michigan uploaded Marche du Nain Rouge - Detroit just before the parade returned in 2022.


That's the Nain I remember, a complete jerk!

WDIV/Click on Detroit covered the return in Revelers march to banish Nain Rouge from Detroit in annual tradition.


I'm glad to see the event return, too.

WDIV has a preview of this year's parade, which is forming up as I type this, in Marche du Nain Rogue in Midtown Detroit: What to know.

What started as a parade attended by a couple hundred people back in 2010 has grown into a parade that draws in thousands of attendees every year.
Here's to everyone enjoying themselves at today's celebration of Detroit's hidden history. May they have even more fun marching and partying that I had writing this entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment