Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Nikki Haley drops out after Super Tuesday

The big news from Super Tuesday is Nikki Haley dropping out. CNN has the story in Nikki Haley will exit GOP presidential race, clearing path for Donald Trump.

Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley will announce that she is exiting the Republican presidential race, according to sources familiar with her plans, clearing the path for former President Donald Trump.
I'm slightly surprised that she dropped out now, as she finally won two primaries, in D.C. on Sunday and Vermont last night. On the other hand, I can't say I'm actually disappointed, as I had tweeted in late January that she might drop out after losing South Carolina and would be lucky to last until Super Tuesday. Despite her primary victories, her luck and, more importantly, her money ran out.

With that, I'm recycling my reaction from 'SNL' opens with a Trump victory party after the South Carolina Republican Primary, itself an upcycled response.
I'm recycling my comment from George Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel and Trump sells sneakers for the other hand.
Nikki Haley is staying in for the same reasons Liz Cheney is opposing Trump: "As I wrote in July 2022, 'In Liz Cheney's case, she'd like her pre-2015 Republican Party back. I doubt she'll get it any time soon, so she'll settle for damaging TFG instead. I wish her luck.' She's certainly doing her best." Too bad her best won't be good enough to win the nomination.
But it might be enough to damage Trump. I hope she's happy with that. I know I am.
I think Haley will most likely end up endorsing Donald Trump, but it will be late and lukewarm when it occurs. A less likely scenario is that she ends up on the No Labels ticket, should they actually decide to run a candidate in the general election. If that happens, I wouldn't be surprised if Kyrsten Sinema joins her on that ticket, now that she's announced her retirement from the Senate. I might get to that news later.

That brings me to Morning Joe on MSNBC looking ahead in Mika: With Haley set to drop out, the general election essentially starts today.

The Morning Joe panel discusses Trump's latest inflammatory rhetoric and news that Nikki Haley is set to suspend her presidential campaign.
I agree, although I still plan on continuing my marching music for primaries and caucuses series. Those will go on, even if the presidential nominating contests are essentially over.

I might add a report on Haley's remarks later today. Until then, I'm concluding by retiring the graph I made for Haley in Marianne Williamson and Nikki Haley, two women running for President on International Women's Day.

Now for Nikki Haley at On The Issues. She has an economic score of 88 and a social score of 25. On The Issues describes her as a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative. This makes her less conservative socially than either TFG or DeSantis, but to the right of both economically. TFG has an economic score of 83 and a social score of 20, while DeSantis has an economic score of 85 and a social Score of 13. On The Issues considers both of them to be Hard-Core Conservatives.
I'm also retiring, for now, the drink I suggested for her in FiveThirtyEight asks 'Who is Nikki Haley?'
I'm being a good environmentalist by recycling the South Carolina Swizzle Cocktail - The Proper Pour with Charlotte Voisey - Small Screen, which I used for Lindsey Graham.
Inspired by the delicious produce of South Carolina and Georgia, Charlotte created the South Carolina Swizzle Cocktail to celebrate one of her favorite regions of the United States. Served in a julep style, this refreshing libation is perfect as a summer sipper.

Remember, great cocktails start with measuring responsibly.
Recipe:
1 1/2 parts Hendrick's Gin - Watch The Unusual Times: http://bit.ly/hendricks_reservebar
1/2 part Bitter Truth Apricot Liqueur
3/4 part fresh lime juice
3/4 part simple syrup
1/4 part Yellow Chartreuse

Instructions:
Shake ingredients with ice.
Strain over crushed ice into hurricane or tall glass.
Garnish with a mint sprig.
Pour one out for Haley's campaign and possibly even for her future in the Republican Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment