Tuesday, April 23, 2024

NativLang explains 'What Shakespeare's English Sounded Like - and how we know' for Talk Like Shakespeare Day

Happy Talk Like Shakespeare Day! To celebrate, I'm sharing NativLang explaining What Shakespeare's English Sounded Like - and how we know.

Botched rhymes, buried puns and a staged accent that sounds more Victorian than Elizabethan. No more! Use linguistic sleuthing to dig up the surprisingly different sound of the bard's Early Modern English.
I always thought OP (original pronunciation) sounded like a pirate. What do you think?

Stay tuned for this year's version of marching music for the Pennsylvania primary.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Infidel753 for linking to this entry and PBS Terra explains 'How Big Business Broke Recycling (And Blamed You)' at Link round-up for 28 April 2024 and welcome to all of you who came here from his link! Also, welcome to my international readers from Hong Kong, Germany, the United Kingdom, China, and the rest of the planet! I appreciate all of you, especially my readers from Hong Kong, who contributed about 8,720 page views this week, nearly eight times as many as my American readers. Honorable mention goes to China, which contributed 651 page views this week, almost exactly half as many as my American readers.

    ReplyDelete