Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Colbert and Kimmel recap the eclipse

I'm examining the eclipse and earthquake one last time through comedy. Take it away, Stephen Colbert with last night's monologue, Strange Eclipse Behavior | NYC’s Earthquake | Mt. Etna Blows Smoke Rings | Trump’s $50M Fundraiser.

Pets, zoo animals, political candidates and cable news anchors all exhibited odd behavior related to the solar eclipse, Stephen shares the details of his earthquake experience, an Italian volcano is blowing smoke rings, and the former president claims he raised $50 million in one night.
Three science stories in a row — I'm glad I decided to watch this monologue! I'm almost as thrilled as I was seeing the eclipse myself yesterday, but with much less work. Catching the end of totality by pulling off to the side of the freeway when the sky finally went dark and pulling out my special glasses was a reward for getting stuck in traffic and worrying I wouldn't make it to the umbra. I can say "yes, I saw it." Cross that off my bucket list, although I am now thinking about traveling to the one in Spain two years from now. Too bad the path of totality just misses Vigo. I can imagine Broken Peach having an eclipse concert where they sing "Total Eclipse of the Heart" when the Moon covers the Sun, but it won't work out for them to perform in their home town.  Maybe they should do it in A Coruña.

The eclipse also provided material for Jimmy Kimmel. Watch Jimmy's monologue, Trump’s Eclipse Message, Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Display of Dim-bulbery & A.I. for STDs!

We had a Total Solar Eclipse today, people were lining up all across the country to buy viewing glasses, Biden put out an official White House message warning us not to look up, Team Trump used the Eclipse to make a point on Truth Social, Marjorie Taylor Greene posted about the earthquake in New York and eclipse, Trump accepted an award on behalf of his wife Melania who was too busy to attend, he is working hard to reimagine his official stance on abortion, there is a new app that uses A.I. to determine if you have an STI, and we headed out to Hollywood Blvd to ask people “What is an Eclipse?”
Merry Eclipsemas, indeed!

Both Stephen and Jimmy made fun of Donald Trump's eclipse ad, but Stephen's writers and editors did the best job of mocking it in Trump’s Eclipse Ad, Adjusted For Scientific Accuracy.



You might want to cover your eyes.

That's quite the moon!

That's it for today's comedic reflection upon the eclipse and the reaction to it. Stay tuned for Wayback Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment