Sunday, April 14, 2024

'Godzilla Minus One' wins two Critics Choice Super Awards plus an entertainment retrospective

I foreshadowed today's topic at the end of Troopers, drum corps for the Wyoming Democratic Primary.
Normally, I'd tell my readers to stay tuned for highlights of tonight's Saturday Night Live except that I reached my page view goals for the month already, so I'm going to post something else for the Sunday entertainment feature. An retrospective of the top entertainment posts of the 13th year of this blog? That's certainly a possibility!
The only question is what new material I would use to lead into the look back. Since all the posts I'm featuring below the jump are about awards shows, I'm revisiting the most recent awards show I covered the Critics Choice Super Awards. I already expressed my annoyance at no Star Trek show winning an award in 'Star Trek: Discovery' trailers for First Contact Day, so I want to use today's post to brag, sort of. Fortunately, I found an opportunity to do so that connects to a current movie.


I wrote "I'd get a kick out of MEGAN or Godzilla winning this award. Oh, no, there goes Tokyo. Go, go, Godzilla!" As the graphic above shows, I got my wish. On the other hand, I completely blew my pick for Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Movie, as I thought "it's between The Boy and the Heron and Poor Things with the latter favored." Nope, the third Oscar winner Godzilla Minus One won. Here are the paragraph announcing the movie winners from the press release.
Garnering two wins each, “Godzilla Minus One,” “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning,” “Poor Things,” and “Talk to Me” lead the film winners. “Godzilla Minus One” triumphed as the Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Movie and Godzilla was named the overall Best Villain in a Movie. Tom Cruise received Best Actor in an Action Movie for “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning,” while Rebecca Ferguson took home Best Actress in an Action Movie. For their roles in “Poor Things,” Mark Ruffalo was awarded Best Actor in a Science Fiction/Fantasy Movie and Emma Stone won Best Actress in a Science Fiction/Fantasy Movie. “Talk to Me” won Best Horror Movie and Sophie Wilde earned the award for Best Actress in a Horror Movie.
While I whiffed on Best Science Fiction/Fantasy Movie, I did call Tom Cruise, Rebecca Ferguson, Emma Stone, Mark Ruffalo, and Talk To Me to win their awards. My wife and I finally watched Talk To Me last night and we saw why it won Best Horror Movie/Film here and at the Saturn Awards. It was smart and scary!

As for Godzilla Minus One, I'm looking forward to seeing it on my Saturn Awards ballot later this year, where I have it penciled in as my vote for Best International Film, along with Poor Things and The Boy and the Heron, which are my current choices for Best Fantasy Film and Best Animated Film, respectively. That written, I already think Poor Things will lose to the kaiju movie currently in theaters, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire for Best Fantasy Film. In addition Godzilla will face friendly fire, as I would not be surprised if both Godzilla Minus One and Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire both earn nominations for Best Fantasy Film. Only if the kaiju fans split their votes in this category does Poor Things stand a chance of winning at the Saturn Awards, given that "the Saturn Awards are about entertainment not art, they don't care for subtle, and they love to stick it to the experts."

I could end here, but that would leave this post without a preview image on mobile view, so I'm embedding Godzilla and Mothra: King and Queen of the Kaiju | Monstrum to elevate the entry with educational content.

Godzilla is one of the most recognizable monsters in film, and he should be. After all, he is part of the longest running film franchise in the world, but you might be surprised to learn that his history in literature is just as prolific. Without his giant footsteps paving the way, we wouldn’t have the female kaiju Mothra, who is perhaps even more beloved.

In this episode, Dr. Zarka shows how kaiju are deeply rooted in past events in Japan including the deployment of nuclear weapons there during World War II. She explains how both Godzilla and Mothra serve as metaphors and looks at how these monsters continue to shed light on social history.
Dr. Z is in the middle of a series about Kong and has a review of Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire up, which I'm saving until she finishes her series. I'm an environmentalist. I don't just recycle, I conserve my resources! Until then, I'm ending this section the way I opened it, with a quote from Blue Öyster Cult's "Godzilla."
History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of man
Godzilla!
Follow over the jump for last year's top posts about entertainment in general and awards shows other than the Saturn Awards in particular.


The most read entry about entertainment awards other than the Saturn Awards last year was Entertainment for the sixth year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News from April 23, 2017. It earned its 702 raw page views through web search and no-follow links just like and simultaneously with the ones I listed in My Saturn Awards votes vs. winners for Wayback 'Wednesday'. I bet the same people were viewing all of them. However the entry earned its readers, it ended the blogging year in eleventh place overall by raw page views.


I shared 'The Janes' wins Best Documentary at the News & Doc Emmy Awards from October 8, 2023 at the Coffee Party USA/Citizen Connect Facebook page. That helped it earn 407 default and 450 raw page views during October 2023, enough to rank it fifth overall and fourth among entries posted that month. The entry continued earning page views, ending the blogging year with 444 default and 512 raw page views, tying it for 13th overall by default page views, 24th overall by raw page views, and 16th among entries posted during the 13th year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News.


I shared Taylor Swift is Time's 2023 Person of the Year from December 8, 2023 at the Citizen Connect/Coffee Party USA Facebook page, then Infidel753 shared the link at his blog. The two shares combined earned 369 default and 399 raw page views, ranking the entry fifth by all measures during December 2023. While the post lost default page views, falling below 269, it continued to gain raw page views to finish the blogging year with 434, ranking it 27th among entries posted during the blogging year and 36th overall.


I shared Desi Lydic Foxsplains Trump's Indictment for Flashback Friday from April 7, 2023 at the Coffee Party USA/Citizen Connect Facebook page. That helped it earn 357 default and 367 raw page views during April 2023, ranking it eighth overall by the first measure, seventh overall by the second measure, and fifth among entries posted during the month. It lost default page views, but continued to gain raw page views to finish with 407, ranking 35th among entries posted during the blogging year and 44th overall. It has continued to attract page views, as the image above shows it now with 420 — six days away!

Now to recycle an awards show entry from John Oliver examines student loans for Wayback Wednesday.

'Last Week Tonight with John Oliver' returns after winning two Emmy Awards with 'A History of Chuck E. Cheese,' a tale of the Retail Apocalypse from February 5, 2024 benefited from two shares, mine at the Coffee Party USA/Citizen Connect Facebook page and Steve in Manhattan's in Mike's Blog Roundup at Crooks and Liars. Both combined for 845 default and 866 raw page views during February 2024, ranking it second for the month. Its page views continued to increase, ending the blogging year with 846 default and 880 raw page views, ranking it seventh overall by the first measure and seventh among entries posted during the 2023-2024 blogging year and ninth overall according to the second metric. Watch for this entry to reappear in retrospectives about the Retail Apocalypse and awards shows other than the Saturn Awards.
Expect me to use this on Wayback Wednesday, when I plan on covering last year's posts about the Retail Apocalypse.

I close with the most commented on entry posted during the past year, which just happens to be about an awards show, even if it's the Saturn Awards.


'Barbie' vs. 'Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny' for Best Fantasy Film at the Saturn Awards had the most comments during December 2023 with five and the most comments on an entry posted during the blogging year with six comments from a converstion between Infidel753 and me.

That's it for today's retrospective. I plan on resuming the series on Wayback Wednesday. In the meantime, stay tuned for Tax Day.

Previous posts in this series Previous retrospectives about entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment