Since the late 1980s, Hollywood Video had grown to become the world's second largest video rental store. With well over 2,000 locations and 30,000 employees, the billion dollar chain was truly enormous, capitalizing on the insatiable growth of the video rental market. However, after an acquisition by Movie Gallery and two subsequent bankruptcies, it all came crashing down. Join me as we find out why.Oh, look, a leveraged buyout and private equity! Why am I not surprised? Also, Netflix played the role that Amazon usually plays, the big disruptive competitor representing the future of the sector.
On a more personal note, I rented movies from Hollywood Video when I was a homeowner in Ann Arbor through most of the 1990s. When I got divorced and moved to the Irish Hills, I passed the Blockbuster at the edge of town when my kids visited me for the weekend, not the Hollywood Video, so I rented from there. Later, I became a customer of Family Video. Blockbuster's decline made enough news that Business Insider included it among ten of the companies that went out of business last decade and I watched a video about the last Family Video in Michigan that closed in 2021. I didn't even notice when Hollywood Video went out of business. I just looked around one day and noticed there weren't any. Thanks to Jake Williams of Bright Sun Films for explaining how and when that happened.
Today is also National Rum Day and National Roller Coaster Day, so follow over the jump for videos celebrating both.
For National Rum Day following World Honey Bee Day, I'm sharing How To Make a Honey Rum Hot Toddy by Booze On The Rocks.
Today on Booze On The Rocks, we make a Honey Rum Hot Toddy. This variation on a Hot Toddy is spiced and sweet with strong honey notes. A gently warming cocktail is perfect if you want a lighter style of Toddy. Try it out and let me know what you think.If not for my diabetes, I'd think that would be tempting.
I close with 8 News Now — Las Vegas reporting Celebrate National Rollercoaster Day at Adventuredome at Circus Circus.
Celebrate National Roller Coaster Day at Adventuredome at Circus Circus by experiencing two of their thrill rides, El Loco and Canyon Blaster.That was almost as fun to watch as I'm sure it was to ride. Happy Rollercoaster Day!
That's a wrap for today's multipurpose entry. Tomorrow is National Nonprofit Day. Stay tuned to see if I celebrate it. After all, I skipped it last year.
No comments:
Post a Comment