Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Tariffs on brass instruments, really?

I saw a post on Instagram last week about tariffs on brass instruments that I decided to follow up on here. KCCI has the story in Proposed 25% tariff on brass instruments raises concerns for music retailers, students.


WATE 6 On Your Side in Knoxville, Tennessee has more in Proposed 25% tariff on brass instruments could hike costs for school bands.

Brass instruments could soon become more expensive as the U.S. Department of Commerce has proposed a 25% tariff on brass-wind musical instruments, parts, and accessories. Brass-wind instruments are among 14 categories of products being considered for Section 232 tariffs on aluminum, steel, and copper.
I take this story personally, as I'm a brass player, having started off on French horn in middle school, switched to tuba in high school, which I also played in college and as an alumnus, and played baritone and contrabass bugle in drum corps, all brass instruments. Unless one thinks the brass instruments in military bands count, I don't consider brass instruments to be a national security issue. Also, it's not as if there is a lot of domestic production of brass instruments to protect, as WJHL mentions in 25% tariff proposal on brass instruments could spike costs for band students.

The U.S. Department of Commerce proposed a 25% tariff on imported brass-wind instruments, drawing negative feedback from local band programs and instrument shops.
U.S. instrument companies have offshored a lot of their production. Maybe these tariffs will bring some instrument manufacturing back to the U.S., but that will take a while. Tariffs will hurt music students now.

While this is serious business, it definitely seems a bit silly, so I'm closing with Trombones Are a "National Security Threat" Now | 84 Days | Paula Poundstone.

The administration declared brass instruments a national security threat. Paula Poundstone has a simpler idea. Today's thing: call your Representative and demand Trump be impeached. 84 days to November 3rd.
HAHAHAHAHA! But seriously, Congress has impeached Donald "Pervert Hoover" Trump twice. Without convicting and removing him, it won't do any good. There aren't the votes to do any of that right now. It would be better to comment against this proposed tariff by August 27th and work to elect Democrats and independents who would provide majorities to impeach and convict Trump and his Cabinet officers next year.

That's a wrap for today. Stay tuned for World Mosquito Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment