Thursday, May 18, 2017

'Supergirl' vs. 'The Flash' at the Saturn Awards plus television nomination leftovers


I ended 'Game of Thrones' vs. 'Outlander' at the Saturn Awards by telling my readers "Stay tuned for superhero shows beating each other up and the rest of the nominees tomorrow."  Yes, just like I thought I finished the movie nominees with superheroes in 'Deadpool' vs. 'Suicide Squad' at the Saturn Awards plus movie nomination leftovers, I'm finishing the television nominees with costumed crusaders as well.*  This time, I'm featuring "Supergirl" vs. "The Flash," although the shows are on the same network, the plots cross over, and the fandoms overlap.
Best Superhero Adaptation Television Series

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Arrow
The Flash
Gotham
Legion
Supergirl
The defending champion in this category is "The Flash."  The show I think has the best chance of beating it is "Supergirl."  However, I'm not voting for either of them or the show I planned on voting for last year, "Gotham."  This year, I'm voting for "Legion," which is an "X-Men" spinoff, although that's not obvious from the first season.  My wife and I found it to be a really smart and creative take on superpowers (Legion isn't a superhero yet).

In addition to Best Superhero Adaptation Television Series, both shows have other nominations.  "Supergirl" has also earned three acting nominations,  Melissa Benoist for Best Actress on a Television Series, Mehcad Brooks for Best Supporting Actor on a Television Series, and Tyler Hoechlin for Best Guest Performance on a Television Series.  "The Flash" has two acting nominations, Grant Gustin for Best Actor on a Television Series and Candice Patton for Best Supporting Actress on a Television Series. I'm not voting for any of them, but I wish them luck just the same.
Best Action/Thriller Television Series

Animal Kingdom
Bates Motel
Designated Survivor
The Librarians
Mr. Robot
Riverdale
Underground
My favorite show among this field is "The Librarians," but as I wrote both last year and yesterday, I think it's miscategorized.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a fantasy, so I'm not voting for it.  Instead, I'm going to defend the entertainment insider opinion and vote for "Mr. Robot."  I doubt either of them will win.  Based on last year's winner, "Hannibal," which has been cancelled, I expect "Bates Motel" will win instead, although it wouldn't surprise me if "Riverdale" pulled an upset.  Yes, this electorate might just go for Archie pretending to be "Twin Peaks."
Best Presentation on Television

11.22.63
Channel Zero
Doctor Who: The Return of Dr. Mysterio
Mars
The Night Manager
Rats
The conventional choice would be "The Night Manager," a spy thriller.  However, the winner last year was a "Doctor Who" special, so I expect this year's Doctor Who will win, too.  I'm not voting for either.  Instead, I'm voting for "Mars," which my wife and I found to be a gripping combination of science fiction and science fact.

That's it for the television nominations.  Now, for what will probably be the next to last time, are the voting instructions.
Speaking of "this electorate," my readers and I have a chance to change its composition.  Click here to apply for an affiliate membership.  At $25, one can vote for the best films and television shows.  At $40, one can vote for all categories.  I'm paying $40.  I hope my readers do, too.
Time for me to put together my ballot and vote.  I hope at least some of my readers do the same!

*Yes, I thought I had posted all the movie nominations.  It turned out I had forgotten one category.
Best Performance by a Younger Actor

Ruby Barnhill (The BFG)
Julian Dennison (Hunt for the Wilderpeople)
Tom Holland (Captain America: Civil War)
Lewis MacDougall (A Monster Calls)
Neel Sethi (The Jungle Book)
Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch)
I probably should vote for Ruby Barnhill, Lewis MacDougall, or Neel Sethi, but I'm going to take the lead of the BAFTA Film Awards and vote for Tom Holland as Spiderman.  Too bad I forgot about this category; it would have fit right in with the Marvel vs. DC theme of the last planned movie post.

No comments:

Post a Comment