Sunday, May 28, 2017

Speculative fiction on DVD and Blu-Ray at the 2017 Saturn Awards


I thought I had finished blogging about the Saturn Awards with 'Supergirl' vs. 'The Flash' at the Saturn Awards plus television nomination leftovers.  Then I started voting and found out that I was not only eligible to cast ballots for the movie and television awards, but also the DVD and Blu-Ray releases of last year.  I hadn't written about those, since I didn't expect to vote for them.  Surprise!

So for the Sunday entertainment feature, I present the nominees from the Saturn Awards along with my thoughts about which ones I'm voting for and which I think will win.
Best DVD / BD Release:

Dog Eat Dog
The Girl
The Lobster
The Man Who Knew Infinity
The Wailing
Tales of Halloween
I've been wishing "The Lobster" "good luck, you'll need it" since last December and it's the movie I know best among the nominees, so I'm voting for it.  As for which will win, I have no idea.
Best DVD / BD Special Edition Release:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition
The Hills Have Eyes Limited Edition
The Iron Giant Signature Edition
Phantasm Remastered
Raising Cain
Mad Max: Fury Road Black and Chrome Edition
I get to vote for "Mad Max: Fury Road" again?  O.K, I will!  That doesn't mean it will win.  This electorate might prefer "Phantasm Remastered."
Best Classic Film Release on DVD /  BD:

Destiny
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
Gog 3D
It Came From Outer Space
Donovan's Brain
Time After Time
My choice is "Time After Time," but I expect "It Came From Outer Space" would be more likely to win.
Best Television Release on DVD / BD:

Banshee: The Final Season
Hannibal: The Complete Series Collection
Mr. Robot: Season 2.0
Salem's Lot
Versailles: Season One
Star Trek: The Animated Series
The image I used to illustrate this post gave my vote away; my choice is "Star Trek: The Animated Series."  If that hadn't been nominated, I might have voted for "Mr. Robot," but I already voted for the show in Best Action/Thriller TV Series, so "Star Trek" deserves my love.  It's the only vote for the franchise I'm casting as I voted for "Suicide Squad" instead of "Star Trek Beyond" in Best Make-up.*  Will it win?  Maybe, but "Hannibal" or "Salem's Lot" would be my choices for the Saturn Electorate.
Best Collection on DVD / BD:

Buster Keaton Shorts Collection 1917-23
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection
Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast
Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection
Pioneers of African American Cinema
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection
Which one of these would I actually watch?  Easy, the Marx Brothers.  I don't think it will beat either Frankenstein or The Wolf Man, but I don't care; I'm not voting for them.

No post about the Saturn Awards would be complete without a link to the application to vote.
Speaking of "this electorate," my readers and I have a chance to change its composition.  Click here to apply for an affiliate membership.  At $25, one can vote for the best films and television shows.  At $40, one can vote for all categories.  I'm paying $40.  I hope my readers do, too.
Hurry up; voting closes on the 30th!

Previous posts about the 2017 Saturn Awards:
*I also changed my vote for Special Visual Effects from "The Jungle Book" to "Doctor Strange."  The first may be more technically proficient, but the latter had more entertainment value.  I also changed my vote from either "The Conjuring 2" or "Don't Breathe" to "Train to Busan."  The Korean zombie film had the highest rating on IMDB of all the nominees.

No comments:

Post a Comment