Tuesday, September 17, 2019

'Queer Eye' wins four Emmy Awards


I put my ambivalence on display at the end of 'Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown' and 'United Shades of America with W. Kamau Bell' both win two Emmy Awards each.
If I continue on as I have, my next logical post will be about the awards won by "Queer Eye."  Stay tuned to see if I follow through.
It's the path of least resistance, so I'm following it.  Here are the Emmy Awards for "Queer Eye."
Outstanding Structured Reality Program

Antiques Roadshow (PBS)
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (Food Network)
Queer Eye (Netflix)
Shark Tank (ABC)
Tidying Up with Marie Kondo (Netflix)
Who Do You Think You Are? (TLC)
Diversity may be less featured among the structured reality show nominees, but it still plays a role, with "Queer Eye" and "Tidying Up with Marie Kondo" having diverse hosts and "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" and "Who Do You Think You Are?" showcasing a variety of diverse guests.  The latter also features science and history, so it would be the one I'd recommend for its educational value (as I would "Antiques Roadshow").  In contrast, "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" is my go-to guilty pleasure.  I watched a marathon of it in the hospital as I recovered from my surgery for prostate cancer and I used a clip from the show here six years ago"Queer Eye" is the returning winner, but I'm not confident about its ability to repeat despite being nominated in six categories and winning Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming at the Television Critics Association Awards.  I suspect "Tidying Up with Marie Kondo" could pull off an upset.  It has more buzz even though it has only two nominations, fewer than "Shark Tank" with three.
Fortunately for "Queer Eye," I was wrong to be worried, as it repeated in this category.  It really was the favorite!
Outstanding Directing for a Reality Program

Bertram van Munster for The Amazing Race (Episode: "Who Wants A Rolex?") (CBS)
Patrick McManus for American Ninja Warrior (Episode: "Minneapolis City Qualifiers") (NBC)
Hisham Abed for Queer Eye (Episode: "Black Girl Magic") (NBC)
Nick Murray for RuPaul's Drag Race (Episode: "Whatcha Unpackin?") (VH1)
Ken Fuchs for Shark Tank (Episode: "Episode 1002") (ABC)
"RuPaul's Drag Race" won this category last year, the first year it was awarded, so I consider it the nominal favorite.  I'm not sure I'd pick "Queer Eye" as the most likely to pull off an upset — "The Amazing Race" perhaps.  Still, I'm using an image from "Shark Tank" for this category even if I don't think it will win.
Once again, I was wrong.  "Queer Eye" did pull off the upset over "RuPaul's Drag Race."  Congratulations!
Outstanding Picture Editing for a Structured Reality or Competition Program

The Amazing Race – Editing Team (Episode: "Who Wants a Rolex?") (CBS)
Queer Eye – Editing Team (Netflix)
RuPaul's Drag Race – Editing Team (VH1)
RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars – Editing Team (Episode: "Jersey Justice") (VH1)
Survivor – Editing Team (Episode: "Appearances Are Deceiving") (CBS)
"Queer Eye" won this category last year, so I think it's the favorite.  However, "RuPaul's Drag Race" won it the year before, so it could pull off an upset.
"Queer Eye" repeated, so it justified my calling the show the favorite in this category.
Outstanding Casting for a Reality Program

Born This Way (A&E)
Queer Eye (Netflix)
RuPaul's Drag Race (VH1)
Shark Tank (ABC)
The Voice (NBC)
"Queer Eye" won this award last year and "Born This Way" the year before, so I consider them to be co-favorites.  However, all these shows have strong sets of subjects and contestants, so the competition will be fierce, particularly with "RuPaul's Drag Race" in the mix.
"Queer Eye" repeated its win here, so I was right to call it one of the favorites.

Finally, congratulations to Netflix and "Queer Eye" not only for being a fun show that helps people be more fashionable, but also being an example of diversity, inclusion, and acceptance.  Keep up the good work!

I'm going to skip over blogging about the Emmy Awards won so far for "RuPaul's Drag Race," "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver," and "Saturday Night Live" for now, as they are still contending for awards at the Primetime Emmy Awards.  Instead, I plan on looking ahead to the nominations for television movies and limited series.  Stay tuned.

Previous entries in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment