Sunday, April 7, 2024

Earthquake, eclipse, and other news on 'SNL'

As I promised yesterday, it's time for highlights of last night's Saturday Night Live. Since the cold open was about sports, not politics, I'm saving that for later and beginning with Weekend Update: Trump Claims Biden Is on Cocaine, Earthquake Rattles Northeast - SNL.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like the women's NCAA Final Four matchup of Iowa vs. UConn becoming the most-viewed women's basketball game with 14.2 million viewers.
I'm a geologist as well as a paleontologist (paleontology is a subfield of both geology and biology, and I have advanced degrees in both fields), so I'm grateful for an opportunity to blog about earthquakes for the first time since PBS Terra asks 'What's the ONE THING You Can Do To Survive a Tsunami?' I learned about the Ramapo Fault from news coverage of this earthquake and further reading revealed the Newark Rift to me. It's always a good day when I learn something new, especially when it can become one of the stories I tell my students. Since I'm going to be lecturing about earthquakes tomorrow, I can add this earthquake to my list of examples. Perfect timing!

Weekend Update continued with United Airlines' Leaky Toilet, Kanye West Compares Himself to Hitler.

Weekend Update anchors Colin Jost and Michael Che tackle the week's biggest news, like Jane Goodall celebrating her 90th birthday with 90 dogs.
Happy birthday, Dame Jane! The news about Kanye West and Sean "Diddy" Combs qualifies this as the Sunday entertainment feature, but the best part of this segment is the funny science. Speaking of which, the earthquake returned in Earthquake and Eclipse on the 4.8 Magnitude Earthquake and the Solar Eclipse.

Earthquake (Marcello Hernández) and Eclipse (Kenan Thompson) stop by Weekend Update to discuss the earthquake that shook the northeast and the solar eclipse.
"An earthquake during an eclipse? That would be biblical, Brother!" You both missed your chance, as Good Friday passed already, but, hey, close enough.

Follow over the jump for the rest of the highlights from last night's episode.

Weekend Update concluded with Kristen Wiig as Aunt Linda on the Latest Hit Movies.

Aunt Linda (Kristen Wiig) stops by Weekend Update to discuss her takes on the latest hit movies, like Barbie and Oppenheimer.
"Barbenheimer" strikes again!
Too bad Aunt Linda didn't get either movie, or The Bear. At least she liked Paw Patrol. Now we know the character's speed.

SNL
returned to the NCAA women's basketball semifinal game in TBS March Madness Cold Open.

Charles Barkley (Kenan Thompson), Ernie Johnson (James Austin Johnson) and Kenny Smith (Devon Walker) discuss March Madness 2024.
I started following women's basketball when I was attending UCLA, as it was easier to play in the band for women's games than men's games when I was a sophomore. I thought they were more fun even then. I guess that make me an early adopter. I'm pleased to see everyone catch up to me, four plus decades later.

I close today with the fake trailer for Pilates.

Two women (Chloe Fineman, Molly Kearney) try a pilates class for the first time.
As I last wrote in 'Trump' hijacks the Resurrection to sell Bibles on 'SNL' for Easter, "This clip serves as another demonstration of the commercial...parodies being one of the best parts of 'SNL.' When they're on, they're on, and this one was ON!"

That's a wrap for today's highlights post. Stay tuned for tomorrow's eclipse!

No comments:

Post a Comment