Friday, August 30, 2024

I return after a power outage spanning four days and three nights

I'm back. To explain, I'm reusing the opening to I had an eventful three days and two nights because of a severe storm knocking out my power from July 9, 2021.
It's rare that I miss a day here, let alone two, but the usual cause when it has happened was a power outage (the other time I was in the hospital). That's why I was offline the past two days.
History repeated itself this month, first a hospitalization and now a power outage. I'm cutting to the chase with CBS Detroit's Outraged Michigan residents blast DTE after four-day power outage.

Throughout Friday the number of DTE customers without power has slowly ticked downward, but those living south of Six Mile near Farmington Road were cranking their generators to stay cool otherwise they were planning to sweat it out for another night.
I can relate to this. My wife called me late Tuesday afternoon to report the power went out and the power and cable or phone lines in my neighbors' yards caught fire. I came home to brownout conditions, with enough power to run some lights and the freezer, but not the refrigerator. Power gradually increased through the evening until everything could run except the air conditioning. My wife and I could even watch the season premiere of Only Murders in the Building. I thought the worst was over until one of the power lines in front of the house fell and caught those cable/phone lines on fire. The fire department taped off the street and left a notice on the door.

I went to sleep with the power mostly on. I woke up Wednesday morning with the power completely off. It didn't return until this afternoon, so I had part or all of four days and three nights with no power at home. At least I could charge my phone and enjoy air conditioning at work, but returned home to no electricity. I saw crews in the area all four days, but no one actually fixed the problem until today. My wife and I got fed up with the situation last night and checked into a hotel with our dog. We returned this afternoon after we learned the power had returned. I don't think we're in as bad shape as Matt Hutchinson from Brighton; at least some of our food is still good, but we'll find out tomorrow when we start throwing the spoiled food out. We decided to save our medicine that requires refrigeration, like my insulin and Ozempic by putting them into the hotel fridge. Just the same, a $38 rebate from DTE will hardly make a dent in the lost food, to say nothing of the hotel bill.

Now to return to the beginning as WDIV/Click on Detroit reported on the initial storm and power outages in Fast-moving storms leave massive damage across SE Michigan Tuesday night.

The clean-up begins acoss SE Michigan as fast-moving storms hammered Metro Detroit.
We didn't experience any strong wind gusts or see downed trees like WDIV showed, but those definitely explain why the outages were so widespread and persistent. Yikes!

Michigan is not out of the woods yet, as Fox Weather uploaded an overview of the situation in the entire state in Major Michigan Power Outages Persist Amid New Round Of Storms Friday.

Thousands of Michiganders are still without power after severe storms earlier in the week tore across the state as they are bracing for another round of potentially destructive weather Friday.
So far, we haven't seen the severe weather forecast for our area. May we remain so lucky.

I plan on finishing the month with a double driving update. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. I can see why those customers are angry. This must have been a huge hassle. I don't think I've ever had a power outage that lasted as much as one full day (well, the storms on the west coast are probably less severe than what you've been having).

    A $38 credit does indeed seem desultory compared to the losses people must typically have suffered. The state government needs to get onto DTE to do better, or this could become a damaging election issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you. As you can tell from the links above, this has been an issue for as long as I have been blogging and even before that. I recall living through three multi-day outages before I started this blog.

      Oh, they're right to be upset. So were my wife and me. The constant postponement of when service would be restored, the visits by DTE personnel that didn't result in fixes (at least they were paying attention and investigating, but not repairing), and the worry over losing food and water (our house is on well and septic, so without electricity to power the pump, we will eventually lose water pressure) annoyed and frustrated me. I could leave and visit electricity and air conditioning at work, so I got some relief. My wife was at home and had to charge her phone while driving her car Snow Bear. That got old real fast and she got really incensed. She started looking for hotel rooms even before I could suggest the idea, which someone at work said I should do.

      It's already a political issue. Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel issued AG Nessel to Review DTE’s Permanent Waiver Request to Skirt New Outage Credit Rules for Customers back in June and has a link to a complaint form on the Attorney General front page. She's term-limited, but she's not done with politics!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for linking to this entry and For World Mosquito Day, TED-Ed asks 'Ethical dilemma: Should we get rid of mosquitoes?' at Link round-up for 1 September 2024 and welcome to all of you who came here from Infidel's link. Also, welcome to my international readers from India, Singapore, Hong Kong, Germany, Canada, Ireland, Australia, the United Kingdom, and the rest of the planet. I appreciate all of you!

      Delete