Thursday, August 22, 2024

Silly and serious looks at night 3 of the DNC from Colbert and FiveThirtyEight

I'm done grading and I'm sort of ready to return to my usual topical entries. Without any further ado, here is DNC Night 3: Oprah & Stevie Bring The Star Power | Getting To Know Tim Walz | Pete Takes Down Vance from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Stephen Colbert goes LIVE following the star-packed third night of the Democratic National Convention where Pete Buttigieg lit into the GOP's vice presidential candidate, and speakers like Oprah Winfrey and Stevie Wonder hyped up the crowd prior to the night's main event, a rousing speech from vice presidential candidate Tim Walz.
My wife and I have been watching these monologues, but I've been too busy grading final exams while recovering from my health crisis last week to feel like putting together posts based on them. Now I finally have the time and energy to do so.

I have more of Colbert's take on the convention, but first the serious take from FiveThirtyEight, Democrats Pitch 'Freedom' On Night 3 Of The DNC | 538 Politics Podcast.

In this late-night installment of the 538 Politics podcast, the crew reacts to the third night of the Democratic National Convention.
This isn't nearly as funny, but the podcast's emphasis on joy as the theme of the convention at least got close.

Follow over the jump for two more videos from The Late Show about the DNC.

First, a skit with a lot of VIPs, Donny Franks Slings Dogs At The DNC.

Stephen Colbert's old friend Donny Franks brings his hot dog cannon and his mustache to Chicago's United Center during the Democratic National Convention. Special thanks to Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Democratic Party Chair Jaime Harrison, Democratic strategist James Carville, and Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker.
At least all these politicans were in on the joke of Stephen as Donny Franks. That's more than sometimes happens with The Daily Show, which I might feature tomorrow, when they've caught up with the convention.* In particular, they seemed to like the "Balls to the Walz" t-shirts.

Speaking of "Balls to the Walz," I close with Allow Tim Walz To Introduce Himself.



He's T-I-M at the D-N-C!

It feels good to return to two of my favorite sources for blogging. I missed them.

*That is, if I don't throw a comic tomato at RFK Jr., who is rumored to be suspending his campaign tomorrow. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment