Thursday, August 8, 2024

Harris, Walz, and Vance visit Michigan

I told my readers what to expect in today's post at the end of The Daily Show covers Tim Walz plus Walz's first speech as running mate.
I promised that I'd cover the results of Tuesday's primaries in Michigan and maybe Kansas and Missouri. Stay tuned for that tomorrow if I don't get distracted by a shinier object. The way the news has been lately, that's always a possibility.
I found a shinier object in FOX 2 Detroit's FULL SPEECH: Kamala Harris, Tim Walz Michigan rally, although Walz mentioned a primary result in his opening remarks.

Vice President Kamala Harris and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz made a campaign stop in Michigan on Wednesday, a day after the Democratic nominee announced her running mate.
On the one hand, this was fun rally and both Harris and Walz were inspiring — joyful warriors, heckling aside, indeed! On the other, it must have been a little too warm for some of the attendees, several of whom needed medical attention. I'm glad the candidates cared and directed the medics to the people who needed them. I'm not sure convicted criminal Hoover Cleveland or his running mate JD Vance would have been so considerate. Hoover Cleveland would probably be annoyed that someone distracted from him. I'll show my readers Vance's reaction to the press over the jump.

Unlike Tuesday, when Walz was the star and Harris cut her remarks short to concentrate on introducing him, she was the star yesterday and gave her full stump speech yesterday, including her working the eye of Project 2025. It was worth listening to. I want to hear what it sounds like in October and November.

Finally, I used the Fox 2 Detroit video not only because it featured both Harris and Walz, but because its preview image showed all the top politicians at the rally taking a bow at the end. One of those was Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer Watch The Detroit Free Press's Gretchen Whitmer speech for Kamala Harris, Tim Walz names contrasts with Donald Trump, JD Vance.

Speaking at Kamala Harris's rally in metro Detroit was Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, who praised the Harris-Walz ticket while calling out the contrasts between the Democrats and Republican ticket featuring Donald Trump and JD Vance.
Go Big Gretch! As my wife and I were watching this part of the rally, my wife turned to me and said "I like this Democratic Party!" So do I!

Follow over the jump for JD Vance's appearance in Michigan and the promised recap of Tuesday's primary elections.

Sky News provided the best combination of coverage, preview image, and description in Republican vice presidential nominee JD Vance delivers campaign speech.

Republican vice presidential nominee JD Vance holds a campaign event in Shelby Township, Michigan
Vance led off by combining crime and immigration. Ugh, migrant crime, never mind that the the GOP has stood in the way of restricting criminal's access to guns and crime is actually down its peak during the pandemic, which was under Hoover Cleveland. To paraphrase what I wrote in The Way of the (Political) K00K, never let the facts get in the way of the narrative and keep repeating misinformation because people might just believe it. Sigh. Also, he's not a happy warrior, he's an angry warrior to say nothing of being a sourpuss and a weirdo. BTW, he should know not to pick fights with people who buy ink (or pixels) by the barrel. They'll turn on you.

I close with CBS Detroit Breaking down Michigan's 2024 primary elections.

Tuesday's Michigan primary decided a handful of congressional primary races that will set up competitive matchups for November.
I'm glad Elissa Slotkin, who was on stage with Harris, Walz, Whitmer, Debbie Stabenow, and Garlin Gilchrist yesterday, won handily. I'm also glad Shri Thanedar won his primary, although I agree with Tim Kiska; Thanedar will have to worry about primary challenges from Detroit's African-American politicians every two years.

I expected the same thing for Rashida Tlaib, who fended off that kind of primary challenge two years ago. She ran unopposed in this year's primary, despite having had two declared opponents earlier this year, but they didn't make the ballot. Ballotpedia lists them as "withdrawn or disqualified candidates." My guess is neither could gather the 1000 valid signatures needed. Tlaib could still face a primary challenge in two years, when I might vote against her for the right candidate, but let's get through this presidential election first.

Stay tuned for Veep Day, when I have something special planned in addition to writing more about Walz and Vance.

No comments:

Post a Comment