Thursday, August 20, 2026

The History (and present) of World Mosquito Day

Happy World Mosquito Day! I begin today's observance with the City of Chesapeake telling The History of World Mosquito Day.

Mosquitoes impact public health on a global scale and are considered the deadliest creatures on earth due to their spread of mosquito-borne diseases such as West Nile virus, dengue, Zika, and malaria.
I haven't recounted the significance of the day since How Disney World controls mosquitoes for World Mosquito Day in 2021, so it was time to remind my readers of it.

That was the history of the day. For the present, I turn to PBS NewsHour explaining how Scientists explore new ways to target mosquitoes as warming climate expands threat.

It doesn't have sharp teeth or claws, but the mosquito kills more people than any other animal on Earth. As the climate warms, mosquito season is lasting longer, giving them more time to spread dangerous diseases. Ben Tracy with Climate Central reports on why the insects are thriving, and the surprising way scientists are fighting back.
I'm recycling what I wrote last year for my reaction.
"Using one parasite that doesn't affect humans to reduce the ability of an insect to spread a parasite harmful to humans — clever! It's also not forever in the same way genetic modification is. Fine by me"...I think infecting them with Wolbachia is an example of a third law, "Nature knows best."
The technology has advanced so that it runs by mail order. Progress (and convenient, too).

That's a wrap for today's biodiversity holiday. PBS NewsHour has another segment on how scientists are fighting the effects of climate change. Stay tuned to see if I feature it or return to Emmy Awards coverage tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment