Monday, May 21, 2018

'Game of Thrones' vs. 'Outlander' (again), 'American Gods,' and 'The Librarians' at the Saturn Awards


I wrote what today's post would be about at the conclusion of 'Twin Peaks' vs. 'Doctor Who' at the Saturn Awards.
Tomorrow's post will be about fantasy.  "Game of Thrones" vs. "Outlander" again, anyone?
This is a rivalry that has been going on for as long as Best Fantasy Television Series has been presented and "Outlander" has won every time so far, which is twice.  That written, "Game of Thrones" has more nominations, Best Fantasy Television Series, Best Actress on a Television Series for Lena Headey, and Best Supporting Actor on a Television Series for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Game of Thrones and Kit Harington.  In contrast, "Outlander" is tied with two other shows in the fantasy television category, "American Gods" and "The Librarians," for three nominations apiece.

In addition to Best Fantasy Television Series, "Outlander" has nominations for Best Actor on a Television Series for Sam Heughan and Best Actress on a Television Series for Caitriona Balfe.  The other two nominations for "American Gods" are Best Actor on a Television Series for Ricky Whittle and Best DVD/BD Television Series Release, while "The Librarians" has nominations for Best Supporting Actor on a Television Series for Christian Kane and Best Guest-Starring Performance on Television for Rachel Nichols.

Here are all the nominees in the category from File 770.
Best Fantasy Television Series:

"American Gods" (Starz)
"Game of Thrones" (HBO)
"The Good Place" (NBC)
"Knightfall" (History Channel)
"The Librarians" (TNT)
"The Magicians" (SyFy)
"Outlander" (Starz)
Once again, I am going to be a good environmentalist and recycle my comments on the fantasy television nominees from How did my Saturn Awards television submissions fare? O.K., I guess.
"American Gods," "Game of Thrones," "Outlander," and "The Good Place" earned nominations.  While I did not submit "The Magicians," I expected it to be renominated.  I also expected "Lucifer," which was the show I voted for last year, to return as well.  Nope.  It and "Beyond" were replaced with "Knightfall" and "The Librarians."  I can't get too upset, as I had been complaining about "The Librarians" being miscategorized as an Action show for two years.  Also, "Knightfall" is not a bad choice at all.  It's definitely not "The Leftovers," which I knew would be a long shot, but it looks like a good show, just not good enough for my vote in this category.  That's going to "The Good Place," which is the only television show to be nominated for both a Nebula and a Hugo.

Despite my voting for "The Good Place," I expect "Outlander" will win the category for a third year in a row.

Follow over the jump for the other categories in "Game of Thrones," "Outlander," "American Gods," and "The Librarians" were nominated.

Here are the relevant categories along with my comments from 'The Walking Dead' vs. 'American Horror Story: Cult' plus Saturn Awards for the seventh year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News.  As I did for the movie nominees, I'll only add a comment if I didn't say anything about any of the fantasy nominees.  Otherwise, I'll just quote and move on.

Best Actor on a Television Series:

Jon Bernthal "Marvel’s The Punisher" (Netflix)
Bruce Campbell "Ash vs. Evil Dead" (Starz)
Sam Heughan "Outlander" (Starz)
Jason Isaacs "Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access)
Andrew Lincoln "The Walking Dead" (AMC)
Seth MacFarlane "The Orville" (Fox Television)
Kyle MacLachlan "Twin Peaks: The Return" (Showtime)
Ricky Whittle "American Gods" (Starz)
Kyle MacLachlan would be the entertainment insiders' choice, but I'm voting for Andrew Lincoln again.  His closest competition would be either Bruce Campbell, who won two years ago, or Sam Heughan, who has the support of an organized "Outlander" fandom.
For the other fantasy nominee, I'll recycle what I wrote in What if the entertainment professionals voted on the television acting nominations at the Saturn Awards?.
The possible exception might be Ricky Wittle; the Broadcast Television Critics Association Awards nominated Ian McShane (Mr. Wednesday/Odin) instead.  Still, while Mr. Wednesday is pulling the strings, "American Gods" is told from Shadow Moon's perspective.  It reminds me of "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl."  It's really Will Turner's story, but Jack Sparrow hijacks it.
Best Actress on a Television Series:

Gillian Anderson "The X-Files" (Fox Television)
Caitriona Balfe "Outlander" (Starz)
Melissa Benoist "Supergirl" (The CW)
Lena Headey "Game of Thrones" (HBO)
Sonequa Martin-Green "Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access)
Adrianne Palicki "The Orville" (Fox Television)
Sarah Paulson "American Horror Story: Cult" (FX)
Mary Elizabeth Winstead "Fargo"(FX)
I was considering voting for Caitriona Balfe last year, but didn't.  This year, I plan on it.  Better her than last year's winner Melissa Benoist.  Of course, either Sarah Paulson or Mary Elizabeth Winstead could pull an upset.
I'll just note that Lena Headey as Cirsei Lannister is really playing a supporting role, not a leading one.

Best Supporting Actor on a Television Series:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau "Game of Thrones" (HBO)
Miguel Ferrer "Twin Peaks: The Return" (Showtime)
Kit Harington "Game of Thrones" (HBO)
Doug Jones "Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access)
Christian Kane "The Librarians" (TNT)
Michael McKean "Better Call Saul" (AMC)
Khary Payton "The Walking Dead"(AMC)
Evan Peters "American Horror Story: Cult" (FX)
Michael McKean is probably the entertainment professionals' choice followed by Evan Peters, but I'm voting for Khary Payton.  "And yet I smile!"
Kit Harington is a fairly conventional choice.  Nikolaj Coster-Waldau isn't; it's usually the actor playing his brother, Peter Dinklage, who gets the love from the awards shows.  As for Christian Kane, he should just be happy to be nominated.

Best Guest-Starring Performance on Television:

Bryan Cranston "Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams" (Amazon / Sony Television)
Michael Greyeyes "Fear the Walking Dead" (AMC)
David Lynch "Twin Peaks: The Return" (Showtime)
Jeffrey Dean Morgan "The Walking Dead" (AMC)
Rachel Nichols "The Librarians" (TNT)
Jesse Plemons "Black Mirror" (Netflix)
Hartley Sawyer "The Flash" (The CW)
Michelle Yeoh "Star Trek: Discovery" (CBS All Access)
I'm sure Jeffrey Dean Morgan will win for his role as Negan again.  I voted for him last year because he was a guest star according to The Television Academy, performing in less than one-half of one of the seasons under consideration.  This year, he's not; he's really a supporting actor, so I'm not voting for him this year.  While the entertainment professional vote would probably go to Bryan Cranston, I'm voting for Michelle Yeoh, who is much more of a guest actress than Morgan.
Rachel Nichols is a known quantity to the Saturn Awards voters, as this is her fourth nomination.  Her three previous were for lead actress in "Continuum."

Now for a category I first mentioned in 'Twin Peaks' vs. 'Doctor Who' at the Saturn Awards.

Best DVD/BD Television Series Release:

"American Gods" (Season 1) (Lionsgate)
"Grimm: The Complete Collection" (Universal)
"The Rockford Files: The Complete Series" (Mill Creek)
"Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series" (Paramount)
"The Vampire Diaries" (The Complete Series) (Warner)
"Westworld: Season One: The Maze" (Warner)
This is a good field, even with "The Rockford Files" as the odd nominee out, although it does qualify as an Action/Thriller television series with high entertainment and nostalgia value.  As for the favorite, I'm not sure.  I suspect it will be "Twin Peaks," but I'm voting for "Westworld."
I own the book of "American Gods," so I don't think I'll buy the DVD.  That written, the book deserved its Hugo.

Time to me to include the updated version of the pitch I make for my readers to become members: "Click here to apply for an affiliate membership.  At $25, one can vote for the best films and television shows.  At $40, one can vote for all categories.  I've already paid my $40.  I hope my readers do, too."  The deadline to vote is May 28.

Tomorrow's entry will be about Action and Thriller television nominees.  "Riverdale" vs. "Better Call Saul," anyone?

Previous entries about the 2018 Saturn Awards:

No comments:

Post a Comment