Thursday, August 17, 2017

'Riverdale' leads television shows with seven Teen Choice Awards


Yesterday was my time to feature the movie winners at the Teen Choice Awards.  Today, as I promised yesterday and teased weeks before then, it's time for me to report on the television winners.  I begin with the cast of "Riverdale" accepting the surfboard for Choice Drama TV Show.

We're HYPED that Riverdale won Choice Drama TV show! Share to show your love!
"Riverdale" was the most honored show last Sunday, earning seven surfboards, two more than "Beauty and the Beast" did in the movie categories.  The video listed them, but here they are again from Deadline Hollywood along with my reactions: Choice Drama TV Show, Choice Drama TV Actor for Cole Sprouse as Jughead (K.J. Apa as Archie was nominated for Choice Breakout TV Star), Choice Breakout TV Show, Choice Breakout TV Star for Lili Reinhart (But Apa didn't win, Reinhart's Betty did), Choice TV Ship for Sprouse and Reinhart (as I wrote last month about the nominees, "Betty and Jughead?  Betty and Veronica are supposed to fight over Archie with Reggie trying to date the loser, while Jughead sits on the sideline"), Choice Hissy Fit for Madelaine Petsch as Cheryl Blossum, and Choice Scene Stealer for Camila Mendes as Veronica Lodge.  Wow!  Between winning Best Action/Thriller TV Series at the Saturn Awards and all these awards won here, I think I really should watch "'Archie' pretending to be 'Twin Peaks,'" even if or maybe because it's such an odd interpretation of "Archie."

Did I call these wins?  Mostly no, even though I was rooting for "Riverdale" in most categories.  I thought "Pretty Little Liars" would win Choice Drama TV Show, even though I noted "Riverdale" was getting a big push from either the studio or the network (that may be a distinction without a difference, as the studio is Warner Brothers, half-owner of The CW) and that I'd have voted for if I could have (I missed the deadline).  I also thought Ian Harding from "Pretty Little Liars" would win, too, but would have voted for Cole Sprouse if I could.  On the other hand, I voted for "Stranger Things" to win Choice Breakout TV Show, but expected "Riverdale" to win.  I also voted for Millie Bobbie Brown to win Choice Breakout TV Star, but expected K.J. Apa to win.  Neither happened, but at least it was a "Riverdale" star.  I expected "Bughead" to win and it did.  Finally, I didn't even come close with Choice Hissy Fit (I thought it would go to Luke Evans' Gaston) or Choice Scene Stealer (I voted for Michael Roker, then noticed Colin O'Donoghue as Killian "Captain Hook" Jones from "Once Upon a Time" on the ballot and switched my vote on the second day).  Two-and-one-half out of seven is not good prognosticating, but the actual results were more to my liking.

Follow over the jump for the rest of the television winners.

The second biggest winner was "Teen Wolf," which won four awards, Choice Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actor for Dylan O’Brien, and all the Summer TV Show categories -- Choice Summer TV Show, Choice Summer TV Actor for Tyler Posey, and Choice Summer TV Actress for Holland Roden.  I expected "Teen Wolf" to sweep the Summer TV categories, but I can only give myself two-and-one-half points on that one, as I thought Shelley Hennig would win instead of Roden.  Not good, but better than I did in the categories "Riverdale" won, even though I didn't vote for "Teen Wolf" in any one of them.

Two speculative fiction shows won two awards, "The Vampire Diaries" and "The Flash."  The former show won Choice Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Show and Kat Graham won Choice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Actress.  I didn't call either one.  I won't have to worry about it next year; this was its last season.  On the other hand, I give myself one-and-one-half points for predicting "The Flash" winning Choice Action TV Show (I thought "The Flash" and "Supergirl" were co-favorites) and Grant Gustin winning Choice Action TV Actor (he was my pick for favorite).  To celebrate, here is Grant Gustin accepting his surfboard.

Grant Gustin Wins Teen Choice Awards 2017
I liked his acceptance speech, as skimpy as it was, better than his attempt to condemn Charlottesville violence on the red carpet.  I guess he just doesn't have much to say, although I think he said enough when Melissa Benoist Accepted The "Choice TV Actress: Action" Award.

Melissa Benoist accepts the "Choice TV Actress: Action" award during the Teen Choice Awards 2017.
I expected Benoist to win and she did.

For the last speculative fiction category, Choice Animated TV Show, I remind my readers that I wrote "Who knows, the name recognition of "Family Guy" might prevail" when I made my predictions.  It did.

Before I leave, I am bragging about two predictions about a show I don't watch that came true and a complete miss by "Supernatural" and the superhero shows.  First, "Fuller House" and Candace Cameron Bure repeated as Choice TV Comedy and Choice Comedy TV Actress.  Yeah, but I'd rather have had "Jane the Virgin" and Gina Rodriguez win.  Second, Choice TV Villain had five nominees from speculative fiction shows.  None of them won.  Instead, Janel Parrish from "Pretty Little Liars" took home the surfboard.

Jake Paul surprises Lucy Hale and Janel Parrish with the "Choice TV Actress: Drama/Action Adventure" and "Choice TV Villain" awards.
I won't have to worry about this show next year, either.  Maybe then, the supervillains from superhero shows can have a chance.

That's it for the Teen Choice Awards for this year.  Now I can return to writing about current events and the Emmy nominees.

No comments:

Post a Comment