Thursday, June 8, 2023

Tides are changing for World Oceans Day 2023

Happy World Oceans Day! I've been celebrating this environmental holiday on this blog for ten years, so today marks one full decade of my observing it.

I begin today's tenth anniversary celebration with France 24 English's Climate change: World Oceans Day to mark the significance of the oceans in our daily lives.*

On 8 June World Oceans Day will be celebrated worldwide, serving as a poignant reminder of the immense significance of the ocean in our daily lives. The importance of a healthy ocean cannot be overstated. They are home to 80 percent of the animal biomass, serving as a vital source of sustenance, nutrition and livelihoods for millions of people worldwide.
I was right when I wrote "I might have more on the Global Plastic Pollution Treaty as soon as Thursday," as France 24 English covered it right after talking about climate change and biodiversity. There should be a draft treaty when the delegates meet again in Nairobi later this year.

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres mentioned the Global Plastic Pollution Treaty in World Oceans Day 2023 (8 June) - United Nations Secretary-General along with other international agreements.

Video Message by António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, on World Oceans Day 2023.
Here are the initiatives Secretary-General Guterres listed after declaring that "the tides are changing."
Last year, we adopted an ambitious global target to conserve and manage 30 per cent of land and marine and coastal areas by 2030, as well as a landmark agreement on fisheries subsidies.

At the UN Ocean Conference in Lisbon, the world agreed to push for more positive ocean action.

A global, legally binding agreement to end plastic pollution is under negotiation.

And in March, countries agreed to the historic High Seas Treaty on the conservation and sustainable use of marine biodiversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction.

Realizing the great promise of these initiatives requires collective commitment.

Sustainable Development Goal 14 — to conserve and sustainably use the ocean’s resources — hangs in the balance.

This World Oceans Day, let’s keep pushing for action.

Today and every day, let’s put the ocean first.
As a Crazy Eddie, I approve.

Follow over the jump for two videos I missed from last year's celebration that I found worth watching.

I begin the Throwback Thursday portion of this post with ABC News' By the Numbers: World Oceans Day.

Oceans cover 71 percent of our planet and are home to up to 1 million species, but face danger from climate change.
Those are some impressive number to go along with the striking images.

I close with Fox 11 Los Angeles celebrating World Oceans Day on Santa Monica Beach.

Wednesday, June 8 is World Oceans Day. A special beach cleanup is happening today in Santa Monica as volunteers with Surf Rider Foundation and Hum Nutrition participate.
I couldn't resist local environmental action from where I grew up. Keep up the good work!

*This clip not only reminds me that France 24 English is a good source of information, but also of my plea in Stats for the 12th year of Crazy Eddie's Motie News on Throwback Thursday.
My French readers supported this blog's page views until the day after Christmas, when they suddenly became scarce. That resulted in nearly missing my page view goal during January 2023 and actually missing my goal during February 2023. Come back! I miss you!
They haven't returned in the numbers I was used to for the past two years, but they haven't completely left, either. France is still the number nine source of page views for this blog over the past three months with 899. Stick around, I like you here.

2 comments:

  1. our Barnes & Nobles - 3 floors with escalators - was right across Broadway from the Tower Records (similarly-sized and escalated). Tower fell, then B&N maybe 6 years later. Giant retail spaced in NYC are hard to lease. One at least is empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steve, and welcome to Crazy Eddie's Motie News! Thanks for all the links to my blog at Crooks and Liars and keep up the good work!

      This is a great comment that illustrates the problems brick-and-mortar stores are facing and how fast some retail titans can decline, but I think you meant to leave it at Company Man asks 'The Decline of Borders...What Happened?' A tale of the Retail Apocalypse for Flashback Friday. I invite you to leave it there. Do you have anything environmental to say here?

      Delete