Wednesday, June 21, 2023

National Seashell Day and World Giraffe Day on the Summer Solstice

Happy World Giraffe Day, National Seashell Day, and Summer Solstice! I'm shuffling the order this year because National Day Calendar just uploaded National Seashell Day | First Day of Summer.

On the first day of summer, National Seashell Day reminds us to put our toes in the sand and admire the beauty of seashells.

#NationalSeashellDay
Shellers get ready to shellebrate and start shelling! To those not in the know, shellers are beachcombers who collect seashells by scouring the beaches for the gems left behind by snails and mollusks. National Seashell Day is here to tell you all about it and make sure you check out your local beaches during the prime shelling season.
I have been hoping that National Day Calendar makes this video for years, so I'm putting it first to celebrate getting my wish.

Next, 8SA described World Giraffe Day (June 21) - Activities and How to Celebrate World Giraffe Day two years ago, but I'm finally uploading it now.

JUNE 21ST is quickly approaching. It a very important day. Not only is it Father’s Day, it is also the 2nd Annual World Giraffe Day. World Giraffe Day was started by the Giraffe Conservation Foundation to celebrate and raise awareness about giraffes in the wild.
The woman behind the 8SA account was off by a couple of years; Father's Day, the Summer Solstice, and World Giraffe Day fell on the same day in 2020. She normally does great research, but she occasionally makes mistakes like this, which causes them to stand out among the otherwise great attention to detail. Even so, I recommend the video.

I'm skipping the science of the solstice today to concentrate on the day's social meaning with Voice of America reporting Seattle Marks Summer Solstice With Whimsical Parade.

June 21 marks the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere – in Seattle, Washington, the summer solstice was celebrated this past weekend with the annual Fremont Solstice Parade. Natasha Mozgovaya has more.
I couldn't resist a parade, especially one that reminds me of the Marche du Nain Rouge. I told myself that I should start writing about it again last year, but forgot to this year. Maybe next year.

Stay tuned for World Rainforest Day and Detroit-style Pizza Day as I continue my holiday posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment