Monday, June 8, 2020

World Oceans Day 2020

I was so busy writing Trump Administration seeking to weaken law protecting birds in midst of pandemic and protests that I missed that today is World Oceans Day, which I've been celebrating on this blog since 2013 until I checked which posts people have been reading today and saw World Oceans Day 2015 on the list. Oops! Good thing I looked!

Since I'm celebrating on short notice, I'm just sharing a couple of videos. First, UN's World Oceans Day Celebration, Joined by NowThis' Lucy Biggers from NowThis News.

Lucy Biggers, host of NowThis' sustainability-focused series 'One Small Step,' will join the UN's World Oceans Day virtual celebration featuring Bill McKibben, Cara Delevingne, and more.
Seeing Jeff Orlowski, who directed and Chasing Coral, as the editor was enough to make me share this video, never mind all the celebrity cameos.

Now for a commercial disguised as a public service announcement, 4ocean's 4ocean - Official World Oceans Day Video.

June 8th is World Oceans Day! This day is recognized by the United Nations as a day for celebrating the role of the oceans in our everyday life and inspiring action to protect the ocean and sustainably use marine resources.

The ocean covers more than 70% of the Earth’s surface and produces half the world’s oxygen. It’s also a powerful carbon sink that helps regulate our climate. Yet human threats like plastic pollution, climate change, and destructive fishing practices like overfishing are threatening this critical and irreplaceable natural resource.

At 4ocean, our mission is to end the ocean plastic crisis. Our professional cleanup crews are working hard each and every day to remove as much waste as possible in an effort to protect marine life and restore ecosystems. In addition, we are committed to raising awareness about the ocean plastic pollution problem and developing innovative solutions to help stop plastic at its source.

Visit 4ocean.com to learn more about how you can get involved.
In addition to seeing the company's commercials, my students have written reports on 4ocean the past two semesters. The company is certainly doing something right!

I'm glad my readers reminded me to celebrate this holiday through their page views. I'd have been really embarassed to have missed it.

Now stay tuned for Marching music for the Georgia and West Virginia primaries!

No comments:

Post a Comment