Saturday, October 26, 2024

The History Guy remembers 'Fact, Fiction, and Frankenstein's Monster' for a late Frankenstein Friday

Yesterday was National Frankenstein Friday, the last Friday in October, which reminds me that I should have celebrated it instead of Drink to 2000 Empire Statesmen playing 'The Phantom of the Opera' for a drum corps Halloween 2024. In the spirit of better late than never, I'm celebrating it today. Watch as The History Guy remembers Fact, Fiction, and Frankenstein's Monster.

“Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus” created what has become one of the most recognized icons of horror fiction, but behind fiction there is always a bit of fact, and Frankenstein’s monster was truly a creature of its time.
I'm familiar with the story of how Mary Shelley created the story of Frankenstein and his creature. An ex-girlfriend of mine — not the one I usually mention — and I watched the movie Gothic on a date. It told the tale of the Shelleys, Lord Byron, and Dr. Polidori telling their "ghost stories." My take is that it was worth watching once, as I think the topic worth exploring, but I found it a bit too silly in spots to be taken seriously as an art film. Pity.

Crediting Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus as the first science fiction story reminds me of what I wrote in PBS Voices explores 'The Evolution of Science Fiction' for Throwback Thursday.
That Frankenstein is considered to be the first work of science fiction means that horror is its sister genre, not fantasy, as the movie and television versions of Frankenstein are portrayed as horror...Just the same, this video is very much about how science fiction reflects the anxieties of its time...
That Polidori's The Vampyre is considered the first piece of vampire fiction and shares a "birthday" with Frankenstein just cements the sibling relationship between science fiction and horror.

I close this entry with a drink recipe, Secret of the Booze's Frankenstein's Monster.

Splash of blue lightning (blue raspberry mix) 1 cup lemonade
1 oz vodka
2 oz. Pineapple rum
2 oz. melon liqueur
Muddle ¼ orange
I found the laboratory glassware, lab coat, and dry ice to be the perfect details to convey the scientific inspiration for the story. Also, drink responsibly!

Today's topic reminds me of last year's Monstrum on 'The Golden Age of Movie Monsters' for Halloween, which features Frankenstein's monster. I plan on sharing this year's Halloween episode tomorrow for the Sunday entertainment feature. Stay tuned for that and more Halloween posts through the end of the month plus a bonus Day of the Dead entry. Trick or treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment