Thursday, October 10, 2024

John Oliver examines 'Federal Courts'

It's been nearly two weeks since I posted 'Last Week Tonight' examines disability benefits after winning 2 Emmy Awards, so it's time I return to Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, who examined Federal Courts last week.

John Oliver discusses how Donald Trump has impacted our federal courts, what he could do if reelected, and how Judge Steve Harvey fits into our judiciary branch.
The cases Oliver mentions take me down a bad memory lane, including Supreme Court unanimously preserves access to Mifepristone, the Supreme Court's immunity ruling, the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, and others that I examined in PBS NewsHour and FiveThirtyEight examine the end of the Supreme Court term. As I wrote in the last linked entry, "This has certainly been an eventful term, thanks to the three justices that The Former Guy appointed, which moved the court even more to the right. The damage from his maladministration continues..." The three justices appointed by the Bushes are happy to go along, especially Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas. Those five form a majority. With John Roberts, who has generally escaped my scrutiny, they compose a supermajority. I shudder to think what another Trump term would do to the courts. May my American readers feel the same way and vote accordingly. This includes voting Republicans out of Congress in addition to voting for Kamala Harris as President.

That's a wrap for today's political post. Stay tuned for National Coming Out Day, when I usually examine Emmy Awards won by reality programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment