Monday, October 14, 2024

'A People's History of Native America' from PBS Origins for Indigenous Peoples' Day

Happy Indigenous Peoples' Day, Canadian Thanksgiving, and, oh yeah, Columbus Day! I'm concentrating on the first today by showcasing the four most watched videos from A People's History of Native America on PBS Origins, beginning with the most viewed, Native American Reservations, Explained.

How did Native Americans end up on Reservations? We explore the complicated relationship between the Indian Nations and the United States of America. This episode unpacks the legacy of Treaties and their effect on modern legislation. We answer the most important question: why do Native Americans continue to live and grow their families there?

Watch Tai Leclaire breakdown all you need to know about the Reservation system and why “Rez Life” is critical to the Native American experience.
That's a fascinating exploration of the history of reservations and how reality ended up not matching what was promised in the treaties. I can see why so many people have watched it.

The next most popular is the season finale, Who can Identify as a Native American?

What’s the deal with “Pretendians”? Tai Leclare and experts dissect what it really means to be Native—whether it’s blood, initiation, or just a claim. This episode digs deep into the complexities of identity and last names in Indian Country.
I really wanted to put this first, but it didn't feel quite right to begin this entry with the last video posted. Still, excellent question, one that hits close to home, as "My wife, my ex-girlfriend, and my ex-wife all have Native American ancestry. At least two of them would qualify as Native Americans under U.S. government policy, and one of them is enrolled as a Cherokee..."

Speaking of "playing Indian," the third most watched video in the series is What Hollywood Gets Wrong About Native America.

Why aren’t Native people– and their stories – ever the crux of your favorite films?

From films used as a tool of genocidal propaganda, to award-winning Indigenous stories in Hollywood, how far has Indigenous media representation come and where is it headed?

Tai Leclaire and experts track the past, present and future of Indigenous entertainment– and how the media and bias prevents Native people from telling their own stories.
While I haven't watched Reservation Dogs yet, I did blog about its Golden Globes and Emmy nominations, so it's on my list. The same is true of Prey, which I haven't watched (yet) but whose Emmy and Saturn Award nomination I covered. On the other hand, my wife and I have watched both seasons so far of Dark Winds, which was also nominated for a Saturn Award, and are looking forward to season three.

I close today's post with Native American Food Sovereignty, Explained.

Today, many Native Americans live in food apartheid and insecurity.

But it wasn't always this way. Once, their lands were abundant with nutritious food sources—corn, bison, potatoes, squash, and more.

So… what happened?

Forced relocation meant that entire Indigenous food systems were ripped away. This triggered a public health crisis and forced a dependence on government rations that just can’t compare.
I blogged about food deserts when I began this blog. It's about time I resumed.

This final entry reminds me that Wednesday is both National Fossil Day and World Food Day. PBS Eons videos about the prehistory of food, anyone? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment