Monday, May 1, 2023

Guardsmen's maypoles in motion for a drum corps May Day 2023

A happy drum corps May Day to my readers! As I wrote last year, It's a happy day for me, too, as I can continue my preferred theme one more year. Watch as Drum Corps International (DCI) asks Who Did It Best? | "Greensleeves" – Guardsmen Edition.

The traditional English folk song "Greensleeves" performed by the Guardsmen five different times over five subsequent years. Who did it best?
Drum Corps International uploaded this video to celebrate Christmas, but the dance around the maypole by the 1978 and 1979 corps makes this one of my favorites to celebrate May Day.

After three years of predicting the end of this iteration of the tradition, I now think this resource has been completely extracted. Unless DCI uploads a video like this for 1978 and 1979 Santa Clara Vanguard during the next 366 days (2024 is a leap year), next year's post would not feature drum corps maypoles in motion. That's O.K. I'm ready to embrace May Day as International Workers' Day and showcase corps with themes that match. Just hope that we are all still here to celebrate it. After all, there is still a war in Ukraine that could spread beyond its borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment