Monday, May 1, 2017

Drum corps fake trees for May Day 2017


A happy drum corps May Day to you!*  Once again, I'm celebrating with a drum corps theme that foreshadowed in the conclusion to last night's post.
Tomorrow is May Day.  I'm planning on another drum corps themed post, this time involving fake trees for the maypoles.**
That goes all the way back to last December's Festivus.
A year ago, I thought I might do something with the aluminum Festivus pole.  That's not happening.
...
I originally put the idea of featuring the aluminum pole in the context of a drum corps Festivus.  It turned out three drum corps, the Santa Clara Vanguard, Mandarins, and Oregon Crusaders, all used fake trees, either aluminum or fiberglass, in their shows this year.  I'll be a good environmentalist and use them for May Day.  I don't just recycle; I conserve my resources and reuse them, too.
The first corps featuring a fake tree in its show was 2016 Santa Clara Vanguard - "Force of Nature".

Santa Clara, CA - 4th Place 95.300
"The Four Seasons Recomposed" Written by Max Richter Published by MUSIC SALES CORPORATION OBO MUTE SONG; "Without Warning" Written by Stephen (Leonard) Melillo Published by STORMWORKS; "Earth Song" Written by Frank Ticheli Published by MANHATTAN BEACH MUSIC; "After The Storm" Written by Stephen (Leonard) Melillo Published by STORMWORKS.
The next corps using fake trees as props was 2016 Mandarins - "Forbidden Forest".

Sacramento, CA - 17th Place 81.200
"Devilish Love" Written by Roger Julia (II) Published by KCA Music; "Into the Forest" Written by Key Poulan, Mark Hunter, Sean Womack Published by KEY POULAN MUSIC; "The Calling" Written by Key Poulan, Mark Hunter, Sean Womack Published by KEY POULAN MUSIC; "The Demons Within" Written by Key Poulan, Mark Hunter, Sean Womack Published by Mandarins Drum & Bugle Corps; "Metamorphosis" Written by Key Poulan, Mark Hunter, Sean Womack Published by Mandarins Drum & Bugle Corps.
Those are the official videos.  Follow over the jump for the unofficial one.

Drum Corps International didn't see fit to post a clip of the Oregon Crusaders on their YouTube channel, so I'm sharing Crazy Oregon Crusaders Pit and Bass Guitar Players from 2016 show Hunted instead.


That's it for tree props in drum corps on May Day this year.  I can do this at least one more time, as 2013 Phantom Regiment used them as well.

Once last time, Happy May Day!

*Or if you're a Trump supporter, Loyalty Day.  Should he repeat his proclamation next year, I'll have something drum corps themed for that, too.

**I decided on fake trees because my wish from last year didn't come true in time.
I could do this one more time, and that would be if I can find a video of the 1978 Santa Clara Vanguard dancing around the maypole.  I have a year to find it.  I can always hope someone will upload one.  Anyone, anyone, Bueller, anyone?
Neither Drum Corps International nor a random Ferris Bueller granted me my wish.  There are videos of the entire 1978 show around, but I'm not going to embed one of those as the number one clip, as it would be very likely to be taken off YouTube within the day.  I guess I'll have to make my own excerpts of this show and 1978 Guardsmen for future May Day posts if I want to use maypoles again.

No comments:

Post a Comment