Wednesday, August 26, 2026

RIP, Dolly Parton

Dolly Parton passed yesterday, and I couldn't ignore it. Instead of posting an obituary from a news program (I'm sure TIME will include her in their end of 2026 list), I'm paying tribute to her my own way, through the mutual interaction between her and marching bands. I begin with Marching.com's tribute, Remembering Dolly Parton: She Was Her Own Parade | Dollywood Opening Day 2024.

Dolly Parton didn't just lead the parade — she was the parade.

Today, we extend our condolences and sympathy to all who are mourning her loss. The world has lost a joyful icon who brought beauty, kindness, and inspiration to countless lives. Her music, generosity, and spirit touched generations and left an immeasurable mark on the world.

Captured by Marching.com during Dollywood’s Opening Day Parade on March 8, 2024, this video shows Dolly riding through the park atop a stunning flower-covered carriage that looked worthy of the Rose Parade itself. Her signature smile and larger-than-life presence turned the parade into a truly unforgettable moment.

Thank you, Dolly, for sharing your light with the world.
I couldn't agree more.

Dolly sent her love back to marching music, as shown in Dolly Parton Shares Message with The Franklin Band from Williamson County Schools.

Country music superstar Dolly Parton shares a special message with members of the Franklin High School Marching Band.
That was characteristically gracious of her. And, yes, she played snare drum in the Sevier County High School Marching Band. Now for the band and show she wished well to, Franklin Band COC Final (Dolly Parton Tribute) from Michael Hatley.

Franklin High School Band Contest of Champions Finals performance of the Dolly Parton Tribute "Rags to Rhinestones" 2023 including “Rocky Top” “Shucking the Corn” “9 to 5” “Jolene” “Coat of Many Colors” and “I will always Love You”
Both Dolly and the Franklin band can be proud of that show.

RIP, Dolly.

No comments:

Post a Comment