Sunday, November 26, 2023

'Barbie' leads nominations in music for visual media at the Grammy Awards


I'm taking a break from the Emmy Awards to examine the Grammys for the Sunday entertainment feature. Fortunately, The Recording Academy's press release has already written the introduction of today's post for me.
Another woman who took over the 2024 GRAMMYs nominations was Barbie — well, sort of.

The Barbie soundtrack and some of its hit songs received 11 nominations, four of which dominate the Best Song Written For Visual Media category: Nicki Minaj's and Ice Spice's "Barbie World," Dua Lipa's "Dance The Night," Ryan Gosling's "I'm Just Ken," and Billie Eilish's "What Was I Made For?" (They'll be competing against Rihanna's highly anticipated return to music, "Lift Me Up" from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.)

"Dance the Night" also earned a coveted Song Of The Year nomination, while "What Was I Made For?" scored nods in both Song Of The Year and Record Of The Year, as well as Best Pop Solo Performance. Additionally, "Barbie World" received a nomination for Best Rap Song.

Naturally, Barbie The Album is nominated for Best Compilation Soundtrack For Visual Media nomination. Mark Ronson's genius was further rewarded with a nom for Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media, which he earned alongside his co-composer, Andrew Wyatt.
Make that an even dozen, as I am following the lead of the promotional image from Twitter by adding a twelfth nomination in Best Music Video for Billie Eilish's "What Was I Made For?" Congratulations! I now have better things to write about the Barbie movie than Vietnam bans 'Barbie,' the most anticipated film of the year, over map showing Chinese territorial claim.

Follow over the jump for music from the movie!

I resume with the nominated songs written for visual media, beginning with the most nominated, Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For? (Official Music Video) with five nominations.


That was moving in its simplicity. It's also my pick to win Best Song Written For Visual Media based just on the number of nominations. While it doesn't have as many views as the next two songs, it has the most upvotes, 2.1 million. That's a good sign.

Next, the two songs with two nominations. Using Song of the Year over Best Rap Song as the tie-breaker, I feature Dua Lipa - Dance The Night (From Barbie The Album) [Official Music Video].


While "What Was I Made For?" is artistic in its simplicity, this is elaborate fun, including the clips from the movie and a cameo by its director, Greta Gerwig. It's also more popular with 126,278,944 views to 80,640,902 views for Eilish's video. I know which one is more likely to win the People's Choice Award!

Now for the other song with two nominations, Nicki Minaj & Ice Spice – Barbie World (with Aqua) [Official Music Video].


This is also more popular than Eilish's video with 115,670,744 views. It also finally gives Aqua's song an official place in the Barbie universe.

Ryan Gosling - I'm Just Ken Exclusive (From Barbie The Album) [Official] is the fourth nominated song from the Barbie soundtrack.


What a cornucopia of musical riches! Now I'm wondering how many songs Warner Brothers can submit for Oscar consideration and which worthy song(s) will end up not being nominated.

The final nominated song for visual media is Rihanna - Lift Me Up (From Black Panther: Wakanda Forever).


I don't have to wonder if this song will be nominated for an Oscar; it already was, but lost to “Naatu Naatu” from RRR. I'm not sad about that; “Naatu Naatu” deserved its win.

I'm closing with Barbie Soundtrack | Pink ("Barbie" Opening Theme) - Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt | WaterTower to represent the film's nomination for Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media.


That's a fun score that I hope gets nominated at the Oscars and Saturn Awards. If it earns a nomination at the latter, I might vote for it!

That's it for the Sunday entertainment feature. Stay tuned for Cyber Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Infidel753 for linking to this post in Link round-up for 3 December 2023 — I thought you'd like it — and welcome to all of you who came here after clicking his link! Also, welcome to all my international readers from Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, and the rest of the world. I appreciate all of you, especially the Germans, who have contributed nearly as many page views as Americans this week!

    ReplyDelete