Wednesday, September 21, 2022

'Better Call Saul' leads television series at the Saturn Awards with seven nominations


I told my readers to "Stay tuned for television" yesterday, so I'm following through by quoting Deadline Hollywood: "In the TV world, it was AMC’s Better Call Saul that led the list with seven mentions..." Without any further ado, here are the nominations for "Better Call Saul" and its fellow nominees on the small screen.
Action / Thriller Series: Network / Cable

Better Call Saul (AMC)
Big Sky (ABC)
The Blacklist (NBC)
Dexter: New Blood (Showtime)
Dark Winds (AMC)
Outlander (Starz)
Yellowjackets (Showtime)
As Deadline Hollywood reported, "Better Call Saul" leads all television series at the Saturn Awards with seven nominations. Its closest competitors in this category are "Big Sky," "Dexter: New Blood," and "Outlander" with four nominations apiece. "The Blacklist" and "Yellowjackets" both have two nominations and "Dark Winds" has just this one. I expect "Better Call Saul" will repeat in this category, but I'm voting for "Outlander."

Since the image I used at the top left out "Big Sky," I'm sharing its promotional image from Twitter so that all four top shows have representation.


Again, I'm glad to see the studios and TV networks promote their shows for the Saturn Awards. Last time, I saw only Starz put together one for "Outlander."

Follow over the jump for the categories I covered in Part 2 of superhero nominees at the 2022 Saturn Awards — network and cable television.

Actor in a Network / Cable Series

• Chiwetel Ejiofor, The Man Who Fell to Earth (Showtime)
• Tyler Hoechlin, Superman & Lois (The CW)
• Coleman Domingo, Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)
• Harold Perrineau, From (EPIX)
• Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Michael C. Hall, Dexter: New Blood (Showtime)
• Sam Heughan, Outlander (Starz)
Tyler Hoechlin is now my TV Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman and he's definitely the best actor in a CW Superhero show, but that's not enough to get me to vote for him. Right now, I plan on casting my vote for Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser in "Outlander." He might win, as he won in 2019 and he's not competing against last year's winner Patrick Stewart. On the other hand, he might lose to Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman in "Better Call Saul." I'll have more when I examine Action/Thriller series.
I'm still voting for Heughan, but I think Odenkirk has an even better chance after not winning at the Emmy Awards. It helps that the actor who beat him wasn't nominated here and would have been in a different category anyway.

Actress in a Network / Cable Series

• Caitriona Balfe, Outlander (Starz)
• Kylie Bunbury, Big Sky (ABC)
• Courteney Cox, Shining Vale (Starz)
• Melanie Lynskey, Yellowjackets (Showtime)
• Rose McIver, Ghosts (CBS)
• Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Elizabeth Tulloch, Superman & Lois (The CW)
I like Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane better than ever, but I'm not voting for her and would be surprised if she wins. Sorry.
...
I'm more likely to vote for last year's winner Caitriona Balfe for "Outlander" or Rhea Seehorn for "Better Call Saul." As I wrote about Actor in a Network / Cable Series, I'll have more when I examine Action/Thriller series.
This is going to be a close battle between two previous winners. I think Seehorn will win, but I'm voting for Balfe.

I'm adding in the Twitter image for the Kylie Bunbury from "Big Sky."


I'm glad the Saturn Awards recognized "Big Sky." It's a fun show that is returning tonight. It doesn't deserve to win, but it does deserve the nomination.

Supporting Actor in a Network / Cable Series

• Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Tony Dalton, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Patrick Fabian, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Harvey Guillen, What We Do in the Shadows (FX)
• Michael James Shaw, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Michael Mando, Better Call Saul (AMC)
• Brandon Scott Jones, Ghosts (CBS)
No superhero nominees here, but "Ghosts" has a nomination...I think Jones's best chance will be if the "Better Call Saul" nominees split the vote and the horror fans don't settle on either Harvey Guillen or Michael James Shaw. Right now, I'm not sure who to vote for.
Look at all the nominees from "Better Call Saul," including Tony Dalton, who is also nominated for "Hawkeye." That's impressive, but I think I'll vote for Jones.

Supporting Actress in a Network / Cable Series

• Emmanuelle Chriqui, Superman & Lois (The CW)
• Lauren Cohan, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Janina Gavankar, Big Sky (ABC)
• Julia Jones, Dexter: New Blood (Showtime)
• Melissa McBride, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Danielle Panabaker, The Flash (The CW)
• Sophie Skelton, Outlander (Starz)
Danielle Panabaker won last year for her portrayal of Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost in "The Flash," so she's both the leading superhero nominee in this category and the nominal favorite. The other superhero nominee is Emmanuelle Chriqui as Lana Lang in "Superman & Lois." I'm not planning on voting for either of them. My choice is between Janina Gavankar and Sophie Skelton. As I've already written twice, I'll have more when I examine Action/Thriller series.
As soon as I saw Gavankar's character make her entrance by walking off the plane last season, I knew I was going to enjoy her performance. I haven't been disappointed in her since. I'm voting for her.

Performance by a Younger Actor: Network / Cable Series

• Jack Alcott, Dexter: New Blood (Showtime)
• Zackary Arthur, Chucky (SyFy / Universal)
• Brec Bassinger, Stargirl (The CW)
• Gus Birney, Shining Vale (Starz)
• Jordan Elsass, Superman & Lois (The CW)
• Alex Garfin, Superman & Lois (The CW)
Brec Bassinger won this award as Courtney Whitmore in "Stargirl" last time and so is the nominal favorite. I'm not sure who I'm voting for.
Jack Alcott is the one nominee from an Action/Thriller show here. I don't think I'm voting for him, although he could still win.

Guest-Starring Performance: Network / Cable Series

• Michael Biehn, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Rachael Harris, Ghosts (CBS)
• Jessie James Keitel, Big Sky (ABC)
• Jeffrey Dean Morgan, The Walking Dead (AMC)
• Fisher Stevens, The Blacklist (NBC)
• Jennifer Tilly, Chucky (SyFy / Universal)
• Aisha Tyler, Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)
Rachael Harris played Lucifer Morningstar's therapist and sometimes lover in "Lucifer" for years, but never got recognized for it. I'm glad she earned this nomination, but I'm probably not voting for her. I might just vote for Jessie James Keitel in "Big Sky" instead. Neither of them will probably win. I expect Jeffrey Dean Morgan might instead.
I still have Keitel penciled in.

I'll return with more about television after the Autumnal Equinox. Stay tuned.

Previous posts in this series

No comments:

Post a Comment