Monday, August 31, 2026

The Marsh Family sings 'Moronic' about Lake Ontario and the trade war with Canada

I promised "something short I can share to social media" and the Marsh Family promptly obliged by uploading "Moronic" - Marsh Family parody of Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" about Trump's Trade War with Canada.

This song treats the Trump shenanigans in recent days as he has escalated a trade war with Canada and – when faced with defiance and the threat of counter tariffs – indulged in petty statements and pathetic acts such as sanctimoniously renaming Lake Ontario as ‘Lake America’. We have been inundated with requests from Canadian followers for something on this topic (including plenty of suggested lyrics and songs) – but we’ve stuck to our own model and selection, which we nearly always do. We wanted to use an iconic Canadian musician for the parody, and opted for the cutting tongue and clean spiky sound of Alanis Morissette – whose show Danielle loved seeing live in London recently. "Jagged Little Pill" was one of our favourite albums - coming out in 1995 when we first met at uni - and "Ironic" (co-written and produced by Glen Ballard) topped the Canadian chart for six weeks when released, thanks in part to a memorable music video that showcased different characters/versions of her.
Yes, it is moronic, but I expect no better from Donald "Pervert Hoover" Trump, especially on trade.

The Marsh Family deserves an encore, so I'm embedding Canada Responds To Trump’s Tariff Threat from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

After President Trump took offense to an advertisement featuring Ronald Reagan, he threatened Canada with major tariffs. Here now is Canada’s official response.
Yes, it's nearly a year old, but it still works. Also, as I wrote in 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert's final Emmy nominations, "That was fun and I already miss Stephen. My monologue posts are not the same without him."

That's a wrap for today's post and August's blogging. Stay tuned for the first post of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment