Monday, January 15, 2024

Colts, Hawkeyes, Cyclones, and Rose Parade bands, marching music for the 2024 Iowa Caucuses

It's MLK Day, but if you're looking for a post celebrating the holiday, click on Celebrating diversity in acting winners at the Golden Globes for MLK Day weekend. Instead, I'm beginning my marching music for presidential primaries series today — songs to listen and watch as my readers and I wait for results from the Iowa Caucuses, which are tonight. I'm opening with Colts | #dci2022 | The Silk Road from Drum Corps International (DCI).

Dubuque, Iowa's Colts perform a segment from the corps' #DCI2022 production, "The Silk Road," during the 2022 DCI World Championships hosted August 12-14 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
That was only the official clip, which I put first for the preview image. The Stress Master at March Or Die has the complete show, along with a highlights reel of the corps' history welcoming it back to DCI Championship Finals, in DCI-Colts 2022 Finals Reaction.

This year was an amazing experience my first time at finals since 1998. So it has been a while. It was so great to see so many friends and drum corps family. Really can't explain how amazing it was to be there in person again.
The Colts are an amazing corps. The show was complex, intricate visual elements and a very well round corps. Great performance and can't wait to see what they bring next year.

Thank you so much for watching and please now how much I appreciate it.

Thank you!
Will tonight's attendees travel down the Silk Road to the caucus? More like the frozen tundra! That reminds me that the theme of the 2019 Colts show was When Hell Freezes Over. That's a good one for today!


Hearing "Danse Macabre" might just inspire me to use this for a Halloween post. Hey, I'm an environmentalist — I recycle!

Drum corps took a year off because of the pandemic, then returned to perform in exhibition during 2021. Watch March Or Die's DCI-Colts 2021 Reaction re-upload for the performance.

Another amazing show from 2021. I cannot believe how many creative, fun and honestly really well performed shows there were last summer. As we get closer to the 2022 season I am hoping that the shows this upcoming year will be amazing. Here's hoping!!!
The show's theme is "Leap of Faith," so will the caucus goers make a leap of faith tonight?

I close the drum corps portion of this post with DCI's A historic year for the 2023 Colts.

The 2023 Drum Corps International Tour and World Championships was one for the record books for Dubuque, Iowa's Colts. DCI's Dan Potter reported from the sideline of Lucas Oil Stadium during the DCI World Championship Semifinals, August 11.
Remember, home is "where the heart is."

Follow over the jump for the Hawkeye Marching Band, Iowa State University Cyclone Marching Band, and two Rose Parade bands from Iowa.

I begin the marching band portion of today's post with Metallica x Hawkeye Marching Band.

The University of Iowa Hawkeye Marching Band rocked Kinnick Stadium under the lights with our September 30, 2023 halftime show featuring the music of @metallica!
This is now the second most popular video on the Hawkeye Marching Band's YouTube channel, 28,000 views ahead of "HMB TV," which was the most viewed four years ago. I can see why!

Metallica held a contest for marching bands playing their music, so the Iowa State University Cyclone Marching Band joined in with Metallica - September 23, 2023 - Iowa State v. Oklahoma State.

With 37 sousaphones in our ranks, we already consider ourselves a pretty heavy metal band, so we had to take part in crafting a show for Metallica's first marching band competition! We took a journey highlighting the following Metallica songs:

- "Hit the Lights"
- "One"
- "Enter Sandman"
- "Master of Puppets"
I expect to watch a lot of Metallica halftime shows this year. Are my readers looking forward to them? I am!

Now for the Rose Parade bands from Iowa, beginning with Waukee Schools Combined Band - 2022 Pasadena Rose Parade from Luis of Music213.

From Waukee, Iowa, Waukee Warrior Regiment and Northwest Royal Brigade forming the Waukee Schools Combined band performing at the 133rd Annual Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade on Saturday, January 1, 2022.
Luis also has a Bandfest video, but I'm saving it for 2028, should I still be blogging then. Not only do I recycle, I conserve my resources.

I close with Luis of Music213's The Pella Marching Dutch - 2023 Pasadena Bandfest.

From Pella, Iowa The Pella Marching Dutch performing their musical selections at the 42nd Annual Pasadena Tournament of Roses Bandfest at Pasadena City College on Saturday, December 31, 2022.
The rain certainly didn't dampen their spirits! May the cold, wind, and snow not chill the caucus goers tonight!

The series will return one week from tomorrow with this year's version of Marching music for the New Hampshire Primary — Spartans and Londonderry High School. In the meantime, stay tuned for Emmy Awards winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment