Saturday, July 1, 2023

'Great DCI Moments from CANADIAN Corps' for a drum corps Canada Day 2023


Happy Canada Day! I'm switching up the usual chronological order of Canadian drum corps to embed Great DCI Moments from CANADIAN Corps, which Mekel Rogers uploaded on October 19, 2022.

The best of DCI's Canadian corps. Shows range from 1988-1991.
In order, the corps M. Rogers included were 1988 Dutch Boy, 1989 Ventures, 1989 Dutch Boy, 1990 Academie Musicale, 1990 L'Insolite, 1990 Ventures, 1990 Dutch Boy, and 1991 Dutch Boy. 1990 was certainly a great year for Canadian drum corps!

Having taken care of both the 1980s and 1990s and Ontario and Quebec, it's time to move on to the rest of the past 60 years of Canadian drum corps. Follow over the jump!


For this year's pre-DCI corps, I'm featuring the 1965 Canadian Commanders, uploaded by John Sidney.


Sidney's video description reads: "Not sure where I got this, found it on my hard drive. It's marked as 1965 but not sure. Canadian Commanders drum corps" — while the album cover above skips over 1965, the show is likely from 1965. The repertoire does not match any of the programs at DCXMuseum, but does repeat the opener of selections from "Hello, Dolly" from the 1964 show. Also, it looks like the corps is carrying the Maple Leaf Flag, which became official in 1965. Either way, not only is this the pre-DCI show for this year, it's also the senior/all-ages corps for the year. Again, two birds with one video!

I'm sharing 1978 Seneca Optimists slideshow to represent the 1970s and the first decade of the DCI era.

This slideshow features photos of the 1978 Seneca Optimists Drum and Bugle Corps. The audio track is a recording of the corps performing at the 1978 Canadian Nationals. Songs played are: "The Sorcerer And The Latin" by Vic Schoen, a medley from "West Side Story" by Leonard Bernstein and "Farandole" by Georges Bizet.
It's a shame this was the corps last year competing, especially since it was the year I competed against them.

Moving on to this century, I'm embedding a semifinals performance video of 2002 Kiwanis Kavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps.

2002 Kiwanis Kavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps 20th Place - Madison, Wisconsin - Camp Randall Stadium
I embedded a rehearsal run-through of this show in the 2019 post. I'm glad to see one of an actual performance. Let's see how long it and the account hosting it last.

Last year, I wrote "Maybe next year, I'll have new video of either the Calgary Stampede Band or the Scout House Cadets at Soundsport to share. Cross your fingers and hope the pandemic doesn't mess that up." I got my wish. Watch totally not the calgary stampede showband in prelims in dci world class 2022 from Alberta's Marching Bands.


Of course, it totally is.

This concludes today's celebration of the first of three patriotic holidays in July I observe on this blog, so "it's time to recycle San. It wouldn't be one of my Canada Day posts without her."

No comments:

Post a Comment