Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Leeja Miller thinks 'Unions Will Save America.'

I told my readers yesterday "I might revisit the SAG-AFTRA strike" today. I'm turning to Leeja Miller for that with her video Unions Will Save America.

Unions will save America. Or at least they might. Let's talk about the WGA SAG-AFTRA strike against the AMPTP, the history of union organizing, the history of union busting, and the current growing labor movement in America. Could it be the answer to all our problems??
This expanded from being a strikeupdate to a history of unionization in advance of Labor Day. It's also a call to action with Miller including the following in the video description.
Here's a script for when you call them:
"Hi! My name is ________ and I live in _____________. I am a constituent of [insert your Congressperson's name] and I am calling to discuss the Protecting the Right to Organize or PRO Act. That's H.R. 20/S.567. I want to indicate my strong support for the passage of this bill and for an increase in labor organizing protection, and I would like to know their stance on the issue.
[insert back and forth about your Congressperson's stance]
Once again I am strongly in favor of the PRO Act and I urge [insert your Congressperson's name] to vote to pass the act. Thank you."
Her link to contact your representative is broken, so here's one that works. Also, here's a link to contact your senator. I'm not worried about either my Representative (Rashida Tlaib, a founding member of The Squad) or my Senators (Gary Peters or Debbie Stabenow) voting for the PRO Act should it reach the House or Senate floor, but pressure on the members of the relevant committee would be helpful. Here's a link to the members page for the Committee on Education and the Workforce. Good luck!

I still plan on resuming my awards show coverage In the meantime, stay tuned for a double celebration of National Roller Coaster Day and National Rum Day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment