
As I promised twice, I'm resuming my coverage of this year's Emmy nominees by finishing my examination of the documentary categories because I promised The American Revolution vs. Mr. Scorsese.
Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction SeriesMr. Scorsese and Sean Combs: The Reckoning co-lead with three nominations each, followed by The American Revolution and The Yogurt Shop Murders tied at two and Rafa with one. That's not exactly the order that the prognosticators at Gold Derby handicap this category. The professionals mostly picked Mr. Scorsese to win with 62.5% of experts and 57.1% of editors along with 37.6% of users, while 57.9% of users support The American Revolution with the remaining professionals, 37.5% of experts and 42.9% of editors, agreeing. The rest of the users rank Sean Combs: The Reckoning third with 2.9%, Rafa fourth with 1.3%, and The Yogurt Shop Murders fifth with 0.3%.
- The American Revolution (PBS)
- Mr. Scorsese (Apple TV)
- Rafa (Netflix)
- Sean Combs: The Reckoning (Netflix)
- The Yogurt Shop Murders (HBO)
This ranking reflects what happened at the Critics Choice Documentary Awards, where Mr. Scorsese beat The American Revolution for Best Limited Documentary Series. Electorates matter, so I think, all things being equal, the Television Academy will vote for a good story about one of their own, and I think all things are equal here.
Follow over the jump for the categories documentaries are competing in that I haven't examined yet, an update on the first post in this series, and a video about Earth Overshoot Day.

Outstanding Directing for a Documentary/Nonfiction ProgramMr. Scorsese and Sean Combs: The Reckoning both earned nominations at the Directors Guild of America Awards and Mr. Scorsese won, so I think it's the favorite.
- Marty, Life Is Short – Lawrence Kasdan (Netflix)
- Mel Brooks: The 99 Year Old Man! – Judd Apatow and Michael Bonfiglio (HBO)
- Mr. Scorsese: "All This Filming Isn't Healthy" – Rebecca Miller (Apple TV)
- My Mom Jayne: A Film by Mariska Hargitay – Mariska Hargitay (HBO Max)
- Sean Combs: The Reckoning: "Pain vs Love" – Alexandria Stapleton (Netflix)
Outstanding Picture Editing for a Nonfiction ProgramThree nominees also earned nominations at the ACE Eddie Awards, John Candy: I Like Me, Mr. Scorsese, and Sean Combs: The Reckoning. I think it's between John Candy: I Like Me and Mr. Scorsese despite my using the Twitter/X image for Sean Combs: The Reckoning; the last is the only nominee running a Twitter/X campaign that mentions this category.
- John Candy: I Like Me – Shane Reid, Darrin Roberts and Dominick Rolandelli (Prime Video)
- Marty, Life Is Short – Sierra Neal and Bennett Piscitelli (Netflix)
- Mel Brooks: The 99 Year Old Man! – Joe Beshenkovsky (HBO)
- Mr. Scorsese: "Stranger in a Strange Land" – David Bartner and George O'Donnell (Apple TV)
- Sean Combs: The Reckoning: "Blink Again" – Charles Divak, Evan Wise, Jack Gravina, Benji Kast, Adam Goldstein, Jonathan Miller, and Jeremy Siefer (Netflix)
Next, I'm revisiting a confident prediction I made in 'The Tale of Silyan' vs 'The Librarians' for Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking at the Emmy Awards.
Between the two, I think The Tale of Silyan is the favorite. First, it has a second Emmy nomination for Outstanding Cinematography for a Nonfiction Program, which I'll examine over the jump, while The Librarians has only one. Second, it earned a nomination for Best Documentary at the Critics Choice Documentary Awards in addition to Best Cinematograpy. The Librarians also earned a nomination at the Critics Choice Documentary Awards for Best Political Documentary, but not Best Documentary. Third, The Tale of Silyan earned nominations at the Film Independent Spirit Awards and PGA Awards and wins at the Cinema Eye Honors Awards and Golden Trailer Awards. Yes, the trailer I embedded is a winner in its own right for Best Documentary Subject. Meanwhile, The Librarians earned nominations at the Satellite Awards and Cinema Eye Honors Awards. When the two films earned nominations at the same awards shows, The Tale of Silyan won awards and more and better nominations. Gold Derby hasn't created a predictions page for the Creative Arts Emmy Awards yet, but I don't have to wait until they do; I can tell which nominee is more likely to win, especially since this is a juried award. The experts will prefer the craft and storytelling of The Tale of Silyan over the subject matter of The Librarians.The experts, editors, and users at Gold Derby all disagree with me; 87.5% of experts, 71.4% of editors, and 91.4% of users are currently voting for The Librarians to win. They must think the Television Academy considers the craft level is even enough that the anti-censorship message of The Librarians will be enough to beat The Tale of Silyan. I'm not convinced yet. It depends on the composition of the jury.
I'm shifting gears by closing with The Chief Brief asking What is Earth Overshoot Day—and what does it have to do with AI?
Every year, scientists calculate Earth Overshoot Day: the date when humanity has consumed all the natural resources the planet can regenerate in a year. In 2026, that day falls on 30 July.Good job connecting AI data centers to Earth Overshoot Day, enough to get me to subscribe to the channel.
From then on, we're effectively living on ecological credit. But why should anyone care?
In this briefing, we explore the hidden environmental cost of our digital lives—and why AI, data centres, water use, electricity demand and critical minerals are becoming central to the climate conversation.
As artificial intelligence transforms how we work, search, create and communicate, demand for hyperscale data centres is accelerating around the world. These facilities require vast amounts of electricity, water and raw materials to power and cool the digital infrastructure behind tools like ChatGPT, streaming services and cloud computing.
We examine:Technology isn't separate from nature. Every search, stream and AI prompt relies on physical infrastructure powered by finite natural resources.
- What Earth Overshoot Day actually means
- Why AI is driving unprecedented growth in data centres
- How data centres consume electricity, water and critical minerals
- Why New York paused approvals for new hyperscale data centres
- Meta's C$13 billion data centre investment in Alberta, Canada
- What our digital habits reveal about humanity's growing ecological footprint
- Why the future of AI depends on the future of the planet
As we build smarter technology, one question becomes increasingly urgent: Can the planet keep up?
That's a wrap for today. Stay tuned for more awards show coverage plus a look at the predicted "super El Niño.
Previous posts about the 2026 Primetime and Creative Arts Emmy Awards
- 'The Tale of Silyan' vs 'The Librarians' for Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking at the Emmy Awards
- Drink to Bad Bunny's Super Bowl Halftime Show's Emmy nominations on National Piña Colada Day
- 'Desi Lydic Foxsplains Trump's Big Beautiful Ballroom' plus the short form nominees at the Emmy Awards
- 'Jordan Klepper Fingers the Pulse: Give the Man a Prize' plus the Emmy nominees for Outstanding Hosted Nonfiction Series or Special
- 'Prehistoric Planet: Ice Age' earned two Emmy nominations for its VFX and music
- 'Oceans with David Attenborough' tied with 'Mel Brooks: The 99 Year Old Man!' for Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special
No comments:
Post a Comment