Sunday, January 7, 2024

CNN on the third anniversary of January 6th plus 2 News & Doc Emmy Awards for CNN's 'Live from the Capitol: January 6th, One Year Later'

I wrote the following footnote to Gold Derby predicts a good night for 'Barbie,' 'Oppenheimer,' 'Succession,' 'The Bear,' and 'Beef' at the Golden Globes: "It's also the third anniversary of January 6th. Don't worry, I'll get to that maybe as soon as tomorrow." Without any further ado, I'm embedding three videos from CNN about the anniversary, beginning with Biden slams Trump ahead of Jan. 6 anniversary.

CNN's MJ Lee breaks down President Joe Biden's first major campaign speech of the 2024 race. CNN's Wolf Blitzer discusses with a panel of experts.
While this is the kickoff to Joe Biden's re-election campaign, it isn't the first time he has spoken on this subject in Pennsylvania, as Biden warned about threats to American democracy in Philadelphia during September 2022. I have the same reaction to his remarks last Friday that I had in September 2022: "I'm glad fighting Joe Biden is coming out..." I also have the same reaction to Trump's response that I did to Kari Lake saying that people who accepted the 2020 election results were the true conspiracy theorists in Meyers and Colbert take closer looks at Kari Lake and other election deniers running for office: "'I know you are but what am I?' was a lot funnier when Pee-wee Herman said it."

President Biden wasn't the only person to criticize Trump, as the next video from CNN on the anniversary was Convicted Jan. 6 participant calls out Trump.

Pam Hemphill, a convicted January 6th participant who served two months in federal prison, gives her reaction to former President Donald Trump firing back at President Joe Biden's campaign speech.
Another name for prison is penitentiary, derived from penitent, "feeling or expressing humble or regretful pain or sorrow for sins or offenses: repentant." Hemphill certainly exemplifies being penitent, so I commend her on using her time in confinement productively. I wish all the participants in January 6th felt the way she does.

The last video from CNN I'm embedding today shows some participants not feeling sorry for what they were doing at the time, New footage shows January 6 rioters yelling at GOP lawmakers.

Dramatic footage released by the Justice Department shows a tense exchange between two Republican congressman and Capitol rioters. The video was shot by Damon Beckley, who was found guilty of obstructing the electoral college certification and civil disorder by a federal judge.
The people I've found least able to be persuaded are the ones who are wrong but don't just think they're right, they know they're right. That's what I'm seeing and hearing here. They are willing to keep going while facing a gun pointed at them at point blank range. That's the dark side of the courage of their convictions. I hope a different kind of conviction has changed or will change their convictions, just like Hemphill.

Follow over the jump for the two News & Doc Emmy Awards won by CNN's Live from the Capitol: January 6th, One Year Later last September.


This is Sunday, when I usually post an entertainment special. After writing three consecutive entries about awards shows, I wasn't feeling it today. However, I could comply with the letter of the idea, if not the spirit, by revisiting my prediction from Outstanding Live News Special among last categories examined before News & Documentary Emmy Awards ceremonies.
I expect the nominee with the most total nominations, CNN's Live from the Capitol: January 6th, One Year Later, will be the one that wins. It earned nominations for Outstanding Direction: News and Technical Excellence: News for three nominations overall. That CNN won this award last year supports my prediction.
As I predicted, it won Outstanding Live News Special. I made another prediction in 'PRIDE: To Be Seen' leads nominees for Outstanding Arts, Culture or Entertainment Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards that it would win Outstanding Direction: News.
I suspect the nominee with the most total nominations, CNN's Live from the Capitol: January 6th, One Year Later, will be the one that actually wins. It earned nominations for Outstanding Live News Special and Technical Excellence: News for three nominations overall.
And it did! Congratulations to CNN for winning these two Emmy Awards!

PBS NewsHour also examined Biden's speech and the participants in the insurrection. Stay tuned for that next.

Previous posts about the 2023 News & Documentary Emmy Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment