I expect the nominee with the most total nominations, CNN's Live from the Capitol: January 6th, One Year Later, will be the one that wins. It earned nominations for Outstanding Direction: News and Technical Excellence: News for three nominations overall. That CNN won this award last year supports my prediction. The only other nominee with another nomination is Noticiero Telemundo's "Decision 2022: Battle for the Power," which is also nominated for Technical Excellence: News, so it's my pick for second place. The rest just have this one nomination, so I am not optimistic about their chances, as much as I'd like one of the two ABC News nominees to win.
All of these interviews have only this one nomination, so I have to go on prior performance and news judgment to pick a winner. 20/20 won this award last year and Mike Pence breaking with the former guy is definitely newsworthy, so I think it's the favorite. My other pick would be 60 Minutes interviewing President Zelenskyy. I don't think the rest are likely to win, although another interview of Bill Barr shows up in the next category.
Again, all of these interviews have only this one nomination, so I have to go on prior performance and news judgment to pick a winner. The New York Times DealBook Summit won this award last year, so I can't count Andrew Ross Sorkin out, as distasteful as I find his subject, Sam Bankman-Fried, to be. Then again, he indirectly caused my wife and me to lose money, so that might color my judgment. Speaking of which, I think Anderson Cooper's interview of Nancy Pelosi has more news value and is of someone I find more sympathetic, so it's the one I want to win. The journalists who are voting might not agree. Remember, electorates matter.
That's it for my coverage of the nominations. I plan on returning with the winners beginning Friday after looking at either more strike news or the outcome of the second Republican debate. As I wrote yesterday "I'm just not feeling that last one this cycle, so I might skip it." In either event, stay tuned.
Previous posts about the 2023 News & Documentary Emmy Awards
- R.I.P. Sinéad O'Connor, who died one day before 'Nothing Compares' earned two News & Documentary Emmy Awards nominations
- '100 Foot Wave' has the most nominations but experts think 'The U.S. and the Holocaust' and 'The 1619 Project' have best chances to win Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series at the Emmy Awards
- 'Super/Natural,' 'Wildcat,' and other nature nominees at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards for International Tiger Day
- 'Good Night Oppy' has six nominations at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Science and Technology Documentary and Best Documentary
- HBO dramas and 'SNL' split the nominees for Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series at the 2023 Emmy Awards
- 'Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain' no longer listed among News & Documentary Emmy nominees
- Two Emmy-nominated documentaries about Watergate for Veep Day
- GameStop, Carl Icahn, TikTok, Cuban baseball, and Victoria's Secret subjects of Outstanding Business and Economic Documentary at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Emmy-nominated documentary 'Escape from Kabul' for the fall of Kabul two years later
- 'The Janes' about pre-Roe America is nominated in four categories at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards
- 'Retrograde' about the final 9 months of the U.S. in Afghanistan earned 6 nominations at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Captive Audience: A Real American Horror Story' earned two nominations at the 2023 News & Documentary Emmy Awards
- 'IS THAT BLACK ENOUGH FOR YOU?!?' likely favorite to win Outstanding Arts and Culture Documentary after 'Roadrunner' removed
- 'VICE News Tonight' vs. '60 Minutes' for Outstanding Recorded News Program at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Anderson Cooper 360' vs. 'CBS Mornings' for Outstanding Live News Program at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Wolf Blitzer and Barbara Kopple to receive Lifetime Achievement Awards at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Beyond Fentanyl' and 'Vice News Tonight' lead Outstanding Health or Medical Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Outstanding Science, Technology or Environmental Coverage nominees cover plastics, the Amazon, school surveillance, and mental health
- Fish Pirates from 'Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller' among nominees for Outstanding Investigative News Coverage: Long Form at the 2023 News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller' leads nominees for Outstanding Crime and Justice Coverage at the 2023 News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'VICE News Tonight' leads nominations for Outstanding Business, Consumer or Economic Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards on the Autumnal Equinox
- 'PRIDE: To Be Seen' leads nominees for Outstanding Arts, Culture or Entertainment Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards