I was very confident that Good Night Oppy would win Outstanding Science and Technology Documentary and had a good shot at Best Documentary, especially after Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain was removed from contention. It won neither category, being bested by How to Survive a Pandemic for the former and The Janes for the latter. The former surprised me; the latter did not, as I wrote "The Janes is Good Night Oppy's stiffest competition for Best Documentary at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards." Good Night Oppy did win two of the six categories in which it was nominated, Outstanding Sound and Outstanding Writing: Documentary. I'll get to those over the jump. Right now, I'm going to be a good sport and congratulate How to Survive a Pandemic.
Original at Sandbox Films on Instagram.
Just to remind my readers, I'm recycling How to Survive a Pandemic | Official Trailer | HBO.
Especially now that it's won. Congratulations!Two years after COVID-19 was declared a pandemic, How to Survive a Pandemic takes viewers behind the scenes of the race to make a vaccine.The effort to end the pandemic is certainly worthy of a nomination and also a video I'll recommend to my biology students.
Follow over the jump for Good Night Oppy's Emmy Awards.
Recycling from R.I.P. Sinéad O'Connor, who died one day before 'Nothing Compares' earned two News & Documentary Emmy Awards nominations.
I think this was a lucky pick, but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.Outstanding Writing: DocumentaryMy preliminary pick...[is] "Good Night Oppy" for Outstanding Writing: Documentary.
FRONTLINE Lies, Politics and Democracy PBS
Good Night Oppy Amazon Prime
Hostages HBO Max
Nothing Compares Showtime
POV Not Going Quietly PBS
Now to recycle from 'Good Night Oppy' has six nominations at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Science and Technology Documentary and Best Documentary.
This is a case where I'm glad to be wrong. Congratulations to the team for Good Night Oppy! I'll have to wait until MLK Day to find out if Angela Bassett beats Barack Obama and a field of Hollywood all-stars to win another Emmy for Outstanding Narrator to add a third to Good Night Oppy's haul. That's a long time to stay tuned!Outstanding SoundAs I have written before, I think that music nominees have the best chances, all things being equal, so that gives the advantage to Great Performances.
A Trip to Infinity Netflix
Good Night Oppy Amazon Prime
Great Performances Now Hear This PBS
Nuisance Bear The New Yorker
Our Universe Netflix
Retrograde National Geographic
Super/Natural National Geographic
Previous posts about the 2023 News & Documentary Emmy Awards
- R.I.P. Sinéad O'Connor, who died one day before 'Nothing Compares' earned two News & Documentary Emmy Awards nominations
- '100 Foot Wave' has the most nominations but experts think 'The U.S. and the Holocaust' and 'The 1619 Project' have best chances to win Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series at the Emmy Awards
- 'Super/Natural,' 'Wildcat,' and other nature nominees at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards for International Tiger Day
- 'Good Night Oppy' has six nominations at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Science and Technology Documentary and Best Documentary
- HBO dramas and 'SNL' split the nominees for Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series at the 2023 Emmy Awards
- 'Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain' no longer listed among News & Documentary Emmy nominees
- Two Emmy-nominated documentaries about Watergate for Veep Day
- GameStop, Carl Icahn, TikTok, Cuban baseball, and Victoria's Secret subjects of Outstanding Business and Economic Documentary at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Emmy-nominated documentary 'Escape from Kabul' for the fall of Kabul two years later
- 'The Janes' about pre-Roe America is nominated in four categories at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards
- 'Retrograde' about the final 9 months of the U.S. in Afghanistan earned 6 nominations at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Captive Audience: A Real American Horror Story' earned two nominations at the 2023 News & Documentary Emmy Awards
- 'IS THAT BLACK ENOUGH FOR YOU?!?' likely favorite to win Outstanding Arts and Culture Documentary after 'Roadrunner' removed
- 'VICE News Tonight' vs. '60 Minutes' for Outstanding Recorded News Program at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Anderson Cooper 360' vs. 'CBS Mornings' for Outstanding Live News Program at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Wolf Blitzer and Barbara Kopple to receive Lifetime Achievement Awards at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Beyond Fentanyl' and 'Vice News Tonight' lead Outstanding Health or Medical Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Outstanding Science, Technology or Environmental Coverage nominees cover plastics, the Amazon, school surveillance, and mental health
- Fish Pirates from 'Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller' among nominees for Outstanding Investigative News Coverage: Long Form at the 2023 News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller' leads nominees for Outstanding Crime and Justice Coverage at the 2023 News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'VICE News Tonight' leads nominations for Outstanding Business, Consumer or Economic Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards on the Autumnal Equinox
- 'PRIDE: To Be Seen' leads nominees for Outstanding Arts, Culture or Entertainment Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Outstanding Live News Special among last categories examined before News & Documentary Emmy Awards ceremonies
- 'Super/Natural' wins Outstanding Promotional Announcement plus squirrel videos for Wester