Thursday, January 7, 2021

Colbert, Kimmel, Meyers, Corden, and Fallon express outrage and offer comfort in response to yesterday's attempted self-coup

I had a good idea of what I would blog about today when I concluded the body of A view of the 'coup attempt' from Michigan.
I might get around to the results of the Georgia Senate runoff elections tomorrow or the day after. I suspect I will be posting the reactions of the late-night talk show hosts to today's violence instead. Stay tuned.
That's exactly what I'm doing, beginning with Stephen Colbert asking Hey, Republicans Who Supported This President: Are We Great Again Yet? - LIVE MONOLOGUE.

After the unprecedented assault on democracy that took place in the Capitol Building today, Stephen Colbert kicks off his LIVE monologue with a message for cowardly Republican lawmakers who for five years have coddled the president's fascist rhetoric: there will be a terrible price to pay.
I'm going to be a good environmentalist and repeat what I wrote about Stephen's monologue in Colbert, Kimmel, and Corden react to Trump's speech last night with derision and outrage plus a bonus Closer Look: "Wow, Stephen, tell us how you really feel. Seriously, I've never seen him so pissed!" This time, I can say I have.*

The Late Show began their commentary on Donald Trump words and deeds in the cold open A Riot At The Capitol Is Exactly What The "Law And Order" President Wanted.



Fact check: America is certainly not feeling great.

Yes, "law and order" ended up being a big scam.

The next monologue I'm featuring is Jimmy Kimmel on Angry Trump Mob Storming the Capitol.

Jimmy gives his thoughts on the angry mob of Trump supporters storming the capitol building in Washington D.C. today, Mike Pence shutting down Donald Trump's request to determine which electoral votes should be counted and which shouldn't, Senators Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley and others keeping this stolen election charade going, Democrats gaining control of the Senate after a double victory in Georgia's runoff election, Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump going after the Republican establishment, and we revisit Trump's inauguration speech with the benefit of hindsight.
Not only are Kimmel's video descriptions the most comprehensive of all the late night talk show hosts, his monologues can be as well. In particular, I'm glad he called out all of Trump's supporters who enabled yesterday's assault on the rule of law and representative democracy. They deserved it.

Follow over the jump for the rest of last night's monologues.

I begin the section over the jump with Seth Meyers Addresses the Armed Insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

Seth Meyers discusses the surreal and horrifying scenes of an armed insurrection incited, directed and encouraged by Donald Trump.
Seth describes how I feel. I would rather be writing about the results of the Senate runoff elections in Georgia, which turned out well for Democrats. That's what talked about in the second half of James Corden Is Hopeful on a Dark Day in the U.S.

James Corden begins The Late Late Show reflecting on what was a dark day at the United States Capitol, but sees hope on the horizon. After, he looks at Rev. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff's victories in the Georgia Senate run-off election.
I have to say that James was the most comforting of all of the talk show hosts last night, although The Tonight Show's Jimmy Addresses the Violence at the U.S. Capitol came close.



Jimmy addresses the armed insurrection at the U.S. Capitol Building.

Thank you, all of you, for doing your best to help your viewers get through these troubled times.

*Colbert also mentioned his guests, who were eye-witnesses to the attempted self-coup. The other shows also had great guests. I could compile another post just for their reactions. Who knows? I just might write one. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment