Happy Wester, the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Autumnal Equinox, which has a squirrel for a mascot. That leads to today's topic, which I foreshadowed in 'Super/Natural,' 'Wildcat,' and other nature nominees at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards for International Tiger Day.
Super/Natural leads with four nominations, followed by Wildcat with three, while all the rest of the nominees have only the one nomination in this category. I'll examine the nominees' odds of winning this category and the others after sharing their trailers, beginning with Super Natural | Official Trailer | Disney+.
Much to my surprise, Super/Natural beat my picks, Shark Week and Retrograde to win Outstanding Promotional Announcement. I was less surprised to find out that Wildcat took home the Emmy for Outstanding Nature Documentary. As I wrote on International Tiger Day, "I still think it's a contest between Super/Natural and Wildcat. The former has more nominations, but the latter's trailer has a lot more views, which means the show might have more viewers. That could give it an advantage." Apparently, it did, along with Wildcat being a far more human story than Super/Natural. I wasn't sure that would impress the journalists and documentarians as much as it would the Hollywood creatives, but now that it has, I'll remember it the next time I invoke "electorates matter."If you think you know nature, think again. Experience a realm beyond human perception in #SuperNaturalSeries, from executive producer James Cameron and National Geographic, and narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch.This trailer is so good that earned its own nomination for Outstanding Promotional Announcement. Wow! Also, leave it to the voice of Doctor Strange, Khan Noonien Singh, and Sherlock Holmes to tell the show's viewers about superpowers. Those characters would know about abilities beyond those of normal humans. Speaking of which, I might find clips of flying squirrels from this show to share on Wester, which falls on October 1st this year. That would be the Sunday after the NATAS announces the News & Documentary Emmy Awards winners, so it would be an appropriately timed topic for a post.
I couldn't find an official Twitter image celebrating Wildcat's win, so here's one I whipped up.
Congratulations to both Super/Natural and Wildcat on their Emmy Awards! Now follow over the jump for the squirrel videos I promised.
I begin with Nature on PBS explaining How the Flying Squirrel Soars.
See how this magical little creature is perfectly designed to soar through the air.This is from the episode "A Squirrel’s Guide to Success," which provides the next clip, Squirrel Obstacle Course.
Squirrel intelligence and agility get put to the test in this obstacle course.Watching this reminds me that Mark Rober, who I've mentioned twice before, has squirrel obstacle course videos. I might use them next year. Stay tuned to see if I remember.
That's it for this year's Wester. The next fake holiday I celebrate is Norther, which falls on New Year's Eve — double holiday!
Previous posts about the 2023 News & Documentary Emmy Awards
- R.I.P. Sinéad O'Connor, who died one day before 'Nothing Compares' earned two News & Documentary Emmy Awards nominations
- '100 Foot Wave' has the most nominations but experts think 'The U.S. and the Holocaust' and 'The 1619 Project' have best chances to win Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series at the Emmy Awards
- 'Super/Natural,' 'Wildcat,' and other nature nominees at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards for International Tiger Day
- 'Good Night Oppy' has six nominations at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Science and Technology Documentary and Best Documentary
- HBO dramas and 'SNL' split the nominees for Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series at the 2023 Emmy Awards
- 'Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain' no longer listed among News & Documentary Emmy nominees
- Two Emmy-nominated documentaries about Watergate for Veep Day
- GameStop, Carl Icahn, TikTok, Cuban baseball, and Victoria's Secret subjects of Outstanding Business and Economic Documentary at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Emmy-nominated documentary 'Escape from Kabul' for the fall of Kabul two years later
- 'The Janes' about pre-Roe America is nominated in four categories at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards
- 'Retrograde' about the final 9 months of the U.S. in Afghanistan earned 6 nominations at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Captive Audience: A Real American Horror Story' earned two nominations at the 2023 News & Documentary Emmy Awards
- 'IS THAT BLACK ENOUGH FOR YOU?!?' likely favorite to win Outstanding Arts and Culture Documentary after 'Roadrunner' removed
- 'VICE News Tonight' vs. '60 Minutes' for Outstanding Recorded News Program at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Anderson Cooper 360' vs. 'CBS Mornings' for Outstanding Live News Program at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Wolf Blitzer and Barbara Kopple to receive Lifetime Achievement Awards at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Beyond Fentanyl' and 'Vice News Tonight' lead Outstanding Health or Medical Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Outstanding Science, Technology or Environmental Coverage nominees cover plastics, the Amazon, school surveillance, and mental health
- Fish Pirates from 'Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller' among nominees for Outstanding Investigative News Coverage: Long Form at the 2023 News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller' leads nominees for Outstanding Crime and Justice Coverage at the 2023 News & Doc Emmy Awards
- 'VICE News Tonight' leads nominations for Outstanding Business, Consumer or Economic Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards on the Autumnal Equinox
- 'PRIDE: To Be Seen' leads nominees for Outstanding Arts, Culture or Entertainment Coverage at the News & Doc Emmy Awards
- Outstanding Live News Special among last categories examined before News & Documentary Emmy Awards ceremonies