Sunday, October 8, 2023

'The Janes' wins Best Documentary at the News & Doc Emmy Awards


I told my readers yesterday to "stay tuned for the Sunday entertainment feature, which will be about the Emmy Awards, whether the winners of the News & Documentary Emmy Awards to the nominees for the Primetime and Creative Arts Emmy Awards. I haven't decided which yet." I chose to continue with the winners of the News & Documentary Emmy Awards, particularly the winner of Best Documentary, The Janes, which also won Outstanding Social Issue Documentary and Outstanding Direction: Documentary, three of the four categories in which it was nominated, tying Retrograde for most Emmys taken home by a documentary at last month's awards. I've embedded the tweets (xeets?) from the News & Documentary Emmy Awards announcing each award, followed by my handicapping from August's post.
"Based on total nominations, I'd say The Janes is Good Night Oppy's stiffest competition" for Best Documentary at the News & Documentary Emmy Awards...The timing of the premiere was uncanny, as it happened the same month that the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade. America needed a look at the pre-Roe situation in order to understand what a post-Roe America could look like. That alone makes The Janes a valuable and moving documentary and a worthy competitor to Good Night Oppy...I would be neither surprised nor disappointed if The Janes won.
And I was indeed neither surprised nor disappointed that The Janes won Best Documentary. Congratulations!
Only The Janes has nominations in categories in addition to this one, Outstanding Research: Documentary, Outstanding Direction: Documentary, and, as I mentioned to begin this entry, Best Documentary. On that basis alone, I consider it to be the frontrunner to win Outstanding Social Issue Documentary. The other reason is that it has its subject matter, sexism and reproductive rights, to itself in this field. The rest of the nominees examine African-American lives and particularly the effects of racism, which I think is likely to split the vote among them.
I don't know which of my criteria mattered more, but I was correct either way. Yay, me, and congratulations to the team behind The Janes! On the other hand, I got this award wrong, writing "My preliminary pick...[is] Retrograde for Outstanding Direction: Documentary." I never did change that prediction. That's O.K. My feelings about The Janes winning this category are the same as for The Janes winning Best Documentary; I am neither surprised nor disappointed. Again, congratulations!

I plan on getting to Retrograde's three News & Doc Emmy Awards, but only after celebrating Indigenous Peoples' Day/Native American Day, Canadian Thanksgiving, and Leif Erikson Day tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Previous posts about the 2023 News & Documentary Emmy Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment