Monday, July 23, 2012

Christmas in July

I'm going to take a moment out from serious blogging to post something that fits with this month's NaBloPoMo theme of Kids. I present to you the 2012 Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps, who are performing a show they call "12.25." It's easily the most accessible show they've done this century* and a lot of fun to watch and listen to. See how many Christmas-themed sets the corps forms during the show. I count at least two Christmas trees, a snowflake, a bow, a bell, and an ICHTHYS fish. How many do you see?




Enjoy this while it lasts.** I expect it will be taken down before the end of August. If and when that happens, I have a backup video ready.

* I've been following drum corps since 1975, wrote for Drum Corps World from 1996-2008, and judged marching from 2001-2006; I should know.

* There is a double meaning to "this." Not only does it refer to the video, but the drum corps activity as well. I fully expect Peak Oil, economic decline, and social upheaval to end the national touring model, which has been around since 1971, by 2020. I started mourning in 2008, when I quit writing for Drum Corps World and stopped going to shows. This will be the fourth year I haven't seen a corps live.

1 comment:

  1. I linked to and quoted this entry in Christmas music from the Cadets and Crazy Eddie's Motie News, where I observed the following about the longevity of the video I embedded: "It didn't even stay up on YouTube for the rest of the week. Both the video I embedded and my backup were taken down a few days later. I wasn't pessimistic enough!" I then embedded two videos of the show that are still up, so watch them there.

    ReplyDelete