Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Seth Meyers takes a closer look at the Fox News-Dominion lawsuit

Seth Meyers returned from break with his own take on the problem with Fox News, Dominion Lawsuit Reveals Fox and Murdoch Knew Trump's 2020 Claims Were Lies: A Closer Look.

Seth takes a closer look at Fox News barring its own anchors from covering a billion-dollar lawsuit against the company that revealed their on-air personalities knowingly lied to viewers about the 2020 election.
Watching and listening to this sketch reminds me of two of my favorite and oldest points. First, as I wrote more than a decade ago, projection is the Right's favorite defense mechanism. Fox News is and was doing exactly what it accused its competition of being and doing, a major media company lying to its viewers. As the meme says:

As party television, this applies to Fox News, too.

Second, as I first wrote in 2011, "America is quite clear about its screwed up priorities­. My experience has convinced me that the surest way to get Americans to act is to mess with their entertainm­ent." Telling the Fox News audience a truth they didn't want to hear messed with their entertainment, they reacted to get it back, and Fox gave it back to them.

Considering I've been making both points for more than a decade, I'm surprised it took this long for me to put both of them together. I guess it was inevitable. It just took the right story, pun intended.

This ends February's blogging. Stay tuned for the first post of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment