Tuesday, November 10, 2015

SeaWorld phasing out its current Orca shows in San Diego


"Blackfish" may have been snubbed by the Oscars and endured push back from SeaWorld, but it's having an effect just the same.  CBS Nightly News reported yesterday SeaWorld to phase out killer whale shows.

SeaWorld San Diego said Monday it would end the theatrical whale shows the park has become known for. Ben Tracy has more on how the park came to the decision.
I think this is a great development, although I'd prefer it be implemented at all their parks, not just the one in San Diego.  If nothing else, SeaWorld wants to greenwash what it does in the name of education (and the bottom line).  If so, I have the same opinion of the action that I have of Republicans on climate change and energy at the CNBC debate--a step in the right direction, however inadequate.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure about Representative Schiff's bill.  I'd rather have more orcas, even captive-bred ones in captivity to safeguard against the species becoming endangered in the wild.  Consequently, I think his proposal is well-meaning but wrong-headed.  Would he also ban the breeding of elephants in captivity to stop circuses from using them?  Better to ban that practice and allow zoos to breed elephants, I say.

Stay tuned.  I'm sure I'm not done with this subject, if for no other reason than PETA might pull one of its legal stunts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment