Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Samantha Bee wins an Emmy after TBS cancels 'Full Frontal'


I reported bad news in Appeals on ballot proposals expanding voting rights and protecting reproductive rights heading to Michigan Supreme Court: "Another one of my favorite sources is also going away for different reasons, as TBS canceled "Full Frontal with Samantha Bee" at the end of July." I have good, if bittersweet, news to report today, as "Full Frontal with Samantha Bee Presents: Once Upon a Time In Late Night" won Outstanding Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards last Saturday. Gold Derby uploaded Emmys 2022 backstage: 'Full Frontal with Samantha Bee Presents: Once Upon a Time in Late Night' after the show won.

The TBS program 'Full Frontal with Samantha Bee Presents: Once Upon a Time in Late Night' won Best Short Form Nonfiction or Reality Series at the 2022 Emmys. Emmy winners meet the media backstage for a Q&A in the Creative Arts press room.
Allana Harkin also called the win bittersweet, which I thought as soon as I read the news over the weekend, especially coming so soon after I found out about the cancellation, which inspired Deadline to tweet the following image.


For more, watch Samantha Bee's 'Full Frontal' canceled by TBS by The Washington Post.

Samantha Bee of "Full Frontal with Samantha Bee" will end her show after seven seasons. Her departure leaves just a few women remaining in the late-night space.
That's depressing. I hope Sam and as much of her cast and crew finds new homes for their talent. I want to keep seeing their takes on current events.

For what it's worth, I completely discounted the chances of this show winning in Desi Lydic, an Emmy-nominated performer, Foxsplains the January 6th Committee Hearings, thinking it would come down to "Between the Scenes — The Daily Show" and "Saturday Night Live Presents: Stories from the Show." This is one case where I'm glad to be wrong. This win is double justice for Bee and her crew, both as a reward for the merits of the show and for being canceled.


Click on What It's REALLY Like Working In Late Night to watch the entire series compiled in one video. Unfortunately, it's age-restricted so I can't embed it. Darn. They're great stories about television, even better than "Saturday Night Live Presents: Stories from the Show." The Emmy voters couldn't resist a good show about show business. As I keep writing about awards shows, electorates matter.

Follow over the jump for the rest of the short form live-action winners.


While I blew Bee's win, I did call "Carpool Karaoke: the Series" winning Outstanding Short Form Comedy, Drama or Variety Series. Congratulations!


I thought Brendan Gleeson would win this award for "State Of the Union," but then wrote "[Tim] Robinson could surprise me." He did, winning Outstanding Actor in a Short Form Comedy or Drama Series for playing various characters in "I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson." Congratulations!


On the other hand, I called Patricia Clarkson winning Outstanding Actress in a Short Form Comedy or Drama Series as Ellen in "State Of the Union." Congratulations!

I have several different ideas about what to write tomorrow, including more about the Emmy Awards. Stay tuned to see which one I choose.

Previous posts about the 2022 Emmy Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment